Octopus holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually my LDS also has "octo keepers" that are identical to snorkel keepers but one side is a square instead of a circle. Same price, but easier to get the octo back on afterwards.

I've heard of making a neclace out of shock cord. Does anyone have instructions on how to do that?

Yes, that is one choice.
I've seen those solutions,

Those pre-made necklaces do tend to be too long.

You can do a DIY one....and size it to fit perfectly. You just need a length of surgical tube and some zip-ties.

images

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/277485-tying-regulator-necklace.html

2nd stage is in my mouth, the rope keeps bothering me.

I have trouble envisioning this. The necklace is on your backup reg, right? It shouldn't be long enough to have any slack to float up in your face, even when you are using the regulator. When you aren't using it, the weight of the reg keeps a small amount of tension on the cord. I honestly don't know if the shock cord I use floats or not, but it wouldn't matter at all if it did.

A lot of people attach the bungee by putting it under the ziptie that holds the mouthpiece on and tying a stopper not. This has the advantage of ensuring that the secondary is always exactly where you left it, but in the unlikely circumstance that someone tries to grab it they're not going to get it. My scientific instructor freaked out about my necklace so I changed it to the double bloodknot for the class as a compromise, but I swapped it back after the class.

I've tried this type of necklace solution, but the rope I've used floats, so, when the 2nd stage is in my mouth, the rope keeps bothering me.
I've discarded any necklace.

I don't want to sound sarcastic.... but why not just use a rope that doesn't float!?! :shocked2:

Very nice work.

I'd just be afraid the o-ring would break, especially if you're going to be doing OOA drills. There doesn't look to be an easy way to replace the o-ring.

A lot of similar octopus holders (maybe the one from Divers Supply) are made with a loop of thin bungee cord, which would be much more durable. Perhaps there's a way of stiching a length of bungee cord to your set-up instead?
If the o-ring breaks, just replace it with a loop of tied 2mm bungee just like you suggested. In the meantime, use the o-ring with no concerns...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom