NOAA chart wreck symbols vs. AWOIS list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bell47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want to find a couple of wrecks that are depicted by the wreck symbol on the NOAA charts. I have tried to look at these wrecks on the AWOIS list but can't find them. I've looked for them by chart number and again by coordinates. I'm really tired of scrolling down the AWOIS list......it's making me cross-eyed at this point! Are all wrecks depicted on the charts on the AWOIS list??? How else would you find out about the wrecks on the chart or find them on the AWOIS list? Here's one of the wrecks I would like to find: Chart number 13302(on the coast of Maine-Penobscot bay), there is a wreck symbol 43 70'.40 N 69 05'. 30W it's just south of a line between Metinic Island and Alen's Rock, just on the north side of the Southern Triangles. Any help would be great. Thanks bell47

Neither the chart symbols nor the AWOIS list are worth a damn. They are only a place to start looking. I've found sunken oil tankers in the Gulf of Mexico as far away as 10 miles from the AWOIS and 2 miles from the chart symbol. About 1/2 mile is as close as I've found stuff. You'd be better off befriending a fisherman and getting his hang book.

yeah, that's about what I've figured, but just trying to start somewhere.

Don't know how deep you're looking, but the hull mounted side looking sonar/fishfinder from Lowrance is a good way to look for wrecks in less than 100 feet of water. You can cover a lot of bottom with one.

I want to find a couple of wrecks that are depicted by the wreck symbol on the NOAA charts. Here's one of the wrecks I would like to find: Chart number 13302(on the coast of Maine-Penobscot bay), there is a wreck symbol 43 54' N 69 05' W it's just south of a line between Metinic Island and Alden Rock, just on the north side of the Southern Triangles.

Hi Bell,

There are two wreck symbols in the area you refer to (although your position information looked off). Both have the dreaded "PA" next to them, which means "Position Approximate". That means they are wrecks that were historically reported to have sunk in that area, but have no sonar data to back them up. Those positions are often recorded to the nearest degree of latitude and longitude (i.e. they are within 60 miles).

In the case of the wrecks you are looking for, the positions are likely to be within about one mile of accuracy. Both are well within the limits of a transom mounted side scan unit, which is probably the best way to find them.

Also remember when looking at AWOIS data, that the GPS datum used is typically NOT the one used by your GPS unit. This is especially true for older/historic wrecks. Most AWOIS records have a position accuracy estimate that can be very helpful. If the records indicates "High" position accuracy and you adjust for the Datam, they can be used to put you almost on top of the wreck. If the position accuracy is "Low", good luck with your hunting! :D

Back
Top Bottom