travel range on a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
Does any one know or know where I can find the travel range for this boat or one very similer.

A local pawn shop in indiana has one for 13k why it is indiana :idk:. Dad wants to buy it for trips to the reefs when we go to the keys, or buy one similer down there.

I think the only diff is the one we looked at is 31 not 32 and not sure if it had 4 50 gallons tanks, but the engine and everything else is the same.

1981 Trojan F-32 Flybridge - BoatBoss.com

Also can it be dived off of, I know ladder would be needed.

My dad said if we sale our house before we are leaving were going to buy it. If we can get it alittle cheaper, since it needs about 5k or so worth of fixing up, runs the guy said, just looked old and needs alittle tlc

Well when you are talking about boats that size you are talking about gallons per hour, and that can vary depending on how fast you want to get there.

I used to have a 37' Egg Harbor Sportfish that had twin Seamaster gas engines. They moved the boat along great considering it weighed in at 13 tons, and it actually could cruise at about 24 knots. But to cruise at that speed I would burn about 17 gallons an hour. If I just paced it about 12 knots I cut the fuel usage down a lot. I don't really remember what my range was, but It wasn't much.

I would stick to a center console with twin engines. I know someone who has a WorldCat something like 32 foot, it has twin 350 Honda outboards, it can cruise at about 40 mph, and isn't so bad on gas.

Last edited:
If these engines are not fuel injected, which judging form the age of the boat I think it is safe to presume they are not, you can count on getting no better than 10-15 GPH out of each engine. That's 20 gallons of gas each hour cruising at probably 20-25 knots, best case scenario. You're talking a range somewhere in the area of 200-250 nautical miles topped off. That is not great for a dive boat in the keys.

I would much prefer some sort of center console with twin outboards that can get you there and back in time to sleep on dry land. Such a boat is much more economical to operate and is far less expensive than that ancient Trojan.

Does any one know or know where I can find the travel range for this boat or one very similer.

http://www.trojanownersclub.com/reports/trojan-f32-editorial.pdf

Also can it be dived off of, I know ladder would be needed.

If it floats, you can dive off it. Just a matter of engineering and fabrication, and how far you want to go with hanging ladders or cutting transom doors. Not really clear from those pictures what would be required to get divers back up over the side.

Well when you are talking about boats that size you are talking about gallons per hour, and that can vary depending on how fast you want to get there.

I used to have a 37' Egg Harbor Sportfish that had twin Seamaster gas engines. They moved the boat along great considering it weighed in at 13 tons, and it actually could cruise at about 24 knots. But to cruise at that speed I would burn about 17 gallons an hour. If I just paced it about 12 knots I cut the fuel usage down a lot. I don't really remember what my range was, but It wasn't much.

I would stick to a center console with twin engines. I know someone who has a WorldCat something like 32 foot, it has twin 350 Honda outboards, it can cruise at about 40 mph, and isn't so bad on gas.

I would bet my anything in the world that that boat, with gas engines, running 24 knots was burning MUCH closer to 40 gallons/hour - or more and nowhere near 17.

With Diesel 3208 cats - it would run about 15 - 16 knots and bur about 17 gal/hour. I just sold my 33' center console - although fast - the efficiency is better than a gas inboard, and not as good as a diesel inboard of the same size and the storage is only conducive for 2-3 divers worth of equipment.

And sorry for being a stickler for details - but your friends boat does NOT have twin HONDA 350's. (they dont exist).

(I was and am a "boat guy" long before I was a scuba guy!!)

I would bet my anything in the world that that boat, with gas engines, running 24 knots was burning MUCH closer to 40 gallons/hour - or more and nowhere near 17.

With Diesel 3208 cats - it would run about 15 - 16 knots and bur about 17 gal/hour. I just sold my 33' center console - although fast - the efficiency is better than a gas inboard, and not as good as a diesel inboard of the same size and the storage is only conducive for 2-3 divers worth of equipment.

And sorry for being a stickler for details - but your friends boat does NOT have twin HONDA 350's. (they dont exist).

(I was and am a "boat guy" long before I was a scuba guy!!)
Well it has been a while since I had the boat, and I didn't run it that often at those speeds, so I am not 100 percent sure of it anymore. As far as my friends boat, I know is has 350's, I thought there were Hondas, but I guess they are not.

I got out of powerboats a while ago, and am glad I have.

Well it has been a while since I had the boat, and I didn't run it that often at those speeds, so I am not 100 percent sure of it anymore. As far as my friends boat, I know is has 350's, I thought there were Hondas, but I guess they are not.

I got out of powerboats a while ago, and am glad I have.

Yamaha 4 stroke 350's. Relatively new - introduced 2007 or 2008....I think - I know they were first seem at the Miami boat show in 07 - but I forget when they actualy were production ready.

I wish I got out of boats a while ago. I just sold one - still have another, and keep catching myself looking at others. I cant afford another anymore - but still keep going - Im an addict:D

Yamaha 4 stroke 350's. Relatively new - introduced 2007 or 2008....I think - I know they were first seem at the Miami boat show in 07 - but I forget when they actualy were production ready.

I wish I got out of boats a while ago. I just sold one - still have another, and keep catching myself looking at others. I cant afford another anymore - but still keep going - Im an addict:D
Well then that would be then I think it was about that time he got the boat as well.

The only boats I have now are a Sunfish sailboat, and a Kayak, then there is the jetski that my brother uses now.

Back
Top Bottom