Henderson H2 or Fourth Element Proteus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navyhawg

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be purchasing a full complement of wetsuits (3,5, and 7 mm) for my current job and would like some reviews from current owners. I have searched the forums and can find very little information about the Fourth Element suits except that they are good quality. From reviews the H2 suits may have some poor quality control in construction? I would like more information about the following areas.

1) How easy is the suit to don/doff?
2) Quality of construction
3) Abrasion resistance

I currently own 5 and 7mm Henderson GC wetsuits and have been pleased with them. Any information of the Fourth Elements easy of putting on vs. the Henderson suits would be very helpful. I have also looked at the Waterproof suits if anybody can comment on them.

Last edited:
fourth elements are awesome suits. They are great quality and like how they are built. However, me personally, I like the Hendersons. They just feel better compared to the fourth element I tried. Henderson being of poor quality, eh i would disagree with that. Some of the guys at the shop i work at have hendersons and look pretty ragid, but they are used non stop and still hold up. One more thing i thought it was a pain in the arse to put the fourth elem suit on..

In short its personally preference, but I like the H2 a bit more just because i feel like i can move better compared to fourth element. Maybe it was the fit of the element who knows..

Hendersons are our most popular suit

I can't really answer your questions directly, but my Henderson H2 shorty is the best shorty I've ever owned. Very comfortable, easy to put on/take off (as are most shortys) and very well made.

If I were going to buy another wetsuit, it would definitely be another H2.

I've got a Fourth Element Proteus 3mm. Fantastic quality, great fit in the water and very warm for a 3mm. However, it's a real pain to get the thing on and off.

I just bought a Fourth Element Proteus 3mm. Its not that its a pain to get on and off, its that you need your buddy to hand you the "Hydrolock" collar to slip over your head prior to zipping it up. It is virtually impossible to don this wetsuit without help. Getting it off is easy, no different than any other wetsuit. I bought it because I was impressed with the construction. Seems are blind-stitched, glued and taped. It also fits great. I am sure that with this much attention to detail this suit will hold up for years.

Last edited:
I just dove the Proteus 3mm for a week in Cozumel and must say I am very disappointed. The glide skin tore in about three places on one of the wrists and one one of the ankles. And the stitching came completely undone for about a two-inch section on the back. My last wetsuit was an entry level low cost model and lasted for five years. This thing is falling apart after one trip. It did keep me warm though. I'm going to get in touch with Fourth Element's customer service and see what they are willing to do about this.

I just dove the Proteus 3mm for a week in Cozumel and must say I am very disappointed. The glide skin tore in about three places on one of the wrists and one one of the ankles. And the stitching came completely undone for about a two-inch section on the back. My last wetsuit was an entry level low cost model and lasted for five years. This thing is falling apart after one trip. It did keep me warm though. I'm going to get in touch with Fourth Element's customer service and see what they are willing to do about this.

A quick follow-up...

So I sent my Proteus 3mm back to Fourth Element to address the problems described above and, without question, Fourth Element sent me a brand new replacement. That is called standing behind your product. Can't ask for more than that.

I have only tried on the Henderson H2 suits and they feel great. My G/F loves the suit I do have H2 gloves which are great. I also have all Fourth element Under garments for my Drysuit and quality is great so can only assume the wetsuits would be made with same quality. Henderson is a top line wetsuit company as is (Bare / Pinnacle currently closed temporary.)

Dive

Zeagle Systems Pinnacle brand exposure protection

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom