Please keep Denisegg's family in your thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hang in there, Denise - our prayers continue.

The vagus nerves are part of the parasympathetic branch of the autonomic nervous system. They run from the medulla oblongata to the heart. Their activity slows the heartbeat.
Pressure receptors in the aorta and carotid arteries send impulses to the medulla which relays these — by way of the vagus nerves — to the heart. This causes heartbeat and blood pressure to diminish. In very layman's terms (meaning what we can gather from what the cardiologist's said) these nerves were aggravated. This could have occured by the tubes still being down his throat and he was moving around a good bit that day. He actually pulled a tube out of his abdomen. They were moving him to do an Xray when his heart rate started dropping. Their first attempt to resuscitate with defibrillators caused tachycardia by stimulation of the accelerans nerve which is part of the sympathetic branch of the autonomic nervous system and then the heart to stop. The second attempt restored his heart rate and he has suffered no heart damage. They believe this was a rare occurence that is not likely to repeat itself, but just in case they have given him the paralytic again so that he will not be moving around until he gets his trach.
His lungs are much better. The Xrays are very good. He is down to 40% 02 and 6% peep on the respirator. They have scheduled the trach for tomorrow at 3:00 pm.
Oh, and he has been on his back since Sunday!!

Last edited:
Thank you all so very much for your continued support and prayers. It keeps us strong and together and we are very thankful and very blessed.

I'm late into this thread, but I just want to offer this: I worked in major trauma/ICU for eight years. I have seen amazing recoveries, particularly in the young -- and I have seen them in patients just as critically ill as Zach. In the middle of the process, it's easy to despair; weeks and months of uncertainty, of small steps of progress and then backsliding, can leave you with the sense that nothing is getting better. But the body heals in ways that are invisible for long periods of time . . . and then one day, suddenly, you begin to see big changes, as though the process has reached a tipping point where recovery is certain. And the best prognoses are in the young.

Hang in there, Denise; you've had a horrible year. I will hold a good thought for your injured youngster.

(BTW, from reading through this, it sounds to me as though he's gotten superb critical care.)

His lungs are much better. The Xrays are very good. He is down to 40% 02 and 6% peep on the respirator. They have scheduled the trach for tomorrow at 3:00 pm.
Oh, and he has been on his back since Sunday!!

:yeahbaby:

Praying for Zach and your crew today. So glad that there has been both the team of folks and the technology to help him have time to heal. It sounds like even with the set back the staff has been right on it giving him the best chance possible.

Hugs to you. Wish I was close enough to drop by and sit with you for a while.

Denise - glad the news is better this time! Thanks for keeping us informed. You, Zach, and all the family remain in my prayers.

Thanks for the updates Denise!! You are still in are thoughts and prayers!!!

I missed you in rescue class - you would have loved freezing your butt off (trust me, I would have liked to have ordered warmer weather!). :D

Hang in there with all the ups and downs. Thanks for taking the time to keep those of us who are concerned up to date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom