"walmart" undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groobie85

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hay guys,
I know the topic of what undergarment it the best has been used and abused on here and other forums. I am not trying to get one of those debated going. However I would like some input before I drop money.
I Have just started diving a used DUI FLX 50/50. I love the suit but the old moby undergarments is...well old and matted...and is a bit small. The coldest water my new undergarment would see is ~50 degrees. I would like it to be a 2 piece. Also, I am not opposed to having a "walmart" undergarment. I don't necessarily want to spend $500 on a DUI one. So all you other budget diver let me know what you think?

Thanks,
Sean http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Character Smiles/coffee.gif

I have a shell drysuit (Bare Nex-Gen) that works nicely with the Bare T100 in the summer/fall. In the winter/spring, I add an extra layer underneath (fleece pullover on my torso) to be comfortable in water down to about 50°F. This system has worked quite nicely for me here in San Diego. FWIW, Scubatoys is having a sale on last year's Bare T-100 for $150. That's a great deal, IMO. Get some wool socks and you're good to go.

If the quality is decent, the Ebay deal above might be worth investigating.

As you may already know, the specialty drysuit undergarments are expensive but tend to insulate better with less bulk...and should keep you relatively warm in the event of a drysuit flood. Often times, they feature zippered pockets to hold car keys/money, built-in pockets for your hands, and some degree of windproof protection (convenient for boat dives).

Thanks Crickett I had seen his stuff and what thinking about going that route. Do you have a UG by him?

another great idea i will check Scuba toys. What type of fleece pull over do you use?

how are undergarments rated ? one of the links indicates 250gm/sqm i assume - more grams per square meter = a warmer under garment ? if thats the unit of measure - is 250gm/sqm a summer
under garment ? say down to 50 deg ? what is the recommendation for mid 30's - ice diving ?

The Rocky fleece long underwear from walmart works very well as a layer. I use a poly/wool blend long underwear as inner layer, 100% merino wool long underwear middle layer and the rocky fleece as the third layer. I wear wool socks, and a pair of docker pants (they slide into the drysuit well) and a Carhart long sleeve tee shirt. The cotton stuff on the "outside" absorbs any moisture in the suit and keeps it away from your skin. I scallop dive most of the winter in Maine. Water temps from 30-40 degrees, airtemps from -10-30 degrees( yes that's a MINUS TEN). All that under a 7MM neoprene drysuit. Very seldom get cold, just on the boat. Just bought a DUI CF-200 with drygloves thinking fourth element in the near future.....I hear good things about them.

Look up WICKING,

All my stuff comes from K Mart in kids or womens sizes. Or Target or...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom