Nitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were two options of Nitrox classes at my LDS. One with the classroom only and one that included 2 dives. I opted for the classroom session including the 2 ow dives. I felt this was beneficial in that it helped me understand the hands on/practical application for computer setting and gas analysis. I know this could have been covered in the classroom as well but it was nice to perform this right at the dive site. Besides it wasnt that much more to include the 2 dives so it was really a no-brainer.

Here is a link to PADI's online coarse:

Welcome to PADI eLearning

Outline:
The history of Enriched Air Nitrox
What is Nitrox?
Review of Basic Scuba Diving Concepts
What is Pressure?
What about Air consumption?
How long I stay underwater on a tank of nitrox?
Decompression Sickness (The Bends)
Review the Dive Tables
Dalton's Law of Physics
Oxygen Toxicity
Partial Pressure - Nitrox I
Partial Pressure - Nitrox II
The Advantages of Nitrox over Air
Nitrox for Decompression stops
Equivalent Air Depths
Maximum Exposure Time Limits
Nitrox I Dive Tables
Nitrox II Dive Tables
Cylinder Markings
Nitrox safe scuba equipment

How hard are the tables to learn?
I am not so good when it comes to learn a bunch of numbers...

Did you learn how to use dive tables during open water? Nitox tables have a couple extra steps

Sadly its possible to do both open water and nitrox now without having ever set eyes on a table.

I'm awful when it comes to numbers, and I managed to make it through the course so I'm sure you can, too.

I did the PADI course a couple of years ago while on vacation in Belize. I found the subject matter so dry that I couldn't stay awake long enough to get through even a chapter without falling asleep. My original plan was to read the manual over the course of a couple of evenings after diving during the day. I gave up on that approach after I was still stuck in the second chapter on the third or fourth day.

So I went to Plan B. Instead of trying to read the book at night in bed, I spent an entire Saturday morning and part of the afternoon studying the manual while seated at a table in order to replicate a classroom experience. After each chapter, I would reward myself with a ten minute walk on the beach. I took the final exam after dinner, then the instructor sat down with me and went over all the questions and answers. Then he showed me how where and how they blend the gas and how to use an analyzer.

I wouldn't call it an enjoyable experience but it certainly worked and I actually remember it fondly.

The approach to the tables is the same as you learned in OW. You don't have to memorize numbers. You just have to learn how to apply your dive planning to the tables.

Thank you all for the answers. I really need nitrox to complete my diving experiences but i've hesitated since the tables seems complicated.
I know how to read the dive tables. It took a while to get in in the head though.

I know that it is possible to use a dive computer to both the OW and nitrox course but that is not the way I personally want to learn to dive. The tables are there for a reason. The computer is a simplifier of the calculation but it should not replace the tables.

If im going to learn nitrox then it's going to be the full tableversion. I'll vait a while longer and get my study capabilities up and going then i think i'm going for it.

The tables are there for a reason. The computer is a simplifier of the calculation but it should not replace the tables.

Do you feel the same way about abacus? :wink:

Computers simplify the user operation, but go a great deal further in terms of algorythm development. The PADI and US Navy (doppler modified) tables are not at a current level of sophistication regarding 20 years of development in 'bubble science'.

Quite frankly... they are out-of-date and I agree that they don't form any essential part in modern recreational diving tuition.

My suggestion would be to learn on a computer....and then learn how that computer works in theory. Divers would be far better off by simply reading a copy of Mark Powell's 'Deco for Divers', than they would be if they spent the same number of hours fiddling with a 20+ year old plastic diving table.

Last edited:
The tables are there for a reason. The computer is a simplifier of the calculation but it should not replace the tables.

Yes the tables are there for mathematical modeling however tables do not take into consideration multilevel diving as it relates to NDL calculations.

That is absolutely true. The computer has a purpose but I also think that you should know the basics before you take the easy way out (computer).

I will buy a computer myself but I want to learn the process behind the result aswell.

Thank you for the answers, great to get input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom