BP/W choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those buckles are good and heavy duty but they are designed to be used under tension. While diving optimally we are looking for that weighless unrestricted feel where the tension at times may near zero in which case it is conceivable that the buckle could come apart. I would think if the straps were to be worn loosely this would increase the chance.
Excuse me if I am wrong or missing something please feel free to correct me. This is just my observation from my perception of the physics of how the buckle works . I have not experienced it first hand.

I don't have firsthand knowledge, but it appears the slotted design would greatly reduce the chance of unintentional release.

Looking at the image of the stainless steel adjustable buckle on Golem's website, it appears the top plate would need to be moved away and then angled nearly 90 degrees to enter the side slots of the base plate.

That would make the buckle very nearly impossible to release unintentionally, IMHO. :)

Dave C

http://www.golemgear.com/p-472-golem-gear-g2-adjustable-diving-harness.aspx

G24214.jpg

What problem does this solve exactly? Because I can't remember ever getting lifted out of the water by a helicopter via my BP/W harness... :rofl3:

What problem does this solve exactly? Because I can't remember ever getting lifted out of the water by a helicopter via my BP/W harness... :rofl3:

In my case due to multiple surgeries on both shoulders I have difficulty articulating to slip out of my harness. This set up will solve that problem. I w seriously considering either a standard BC or some bastardized set up to minimize the strain on my shoulders.

In my case due to multiple surgeries on both shoulders I have difficulty articulating to slip out of my harness. This set up will solve that problem. I w seriously considering either a standard BC or some bastardized set up to minimize the strain on my shoulders.
Well you did say that, but I missed it the first time around, and now my funny little comment just seems insensitive. (oops!) :blush:

I would recommend Oxycheq and Deep Sea Supply. I believe in simplicity and ruggedness and these two companies make awesome wings. I personally dive Oxycheq and love my set up. I have seen DSS wings and they look pretty awesome too. DSS seems to have a much better customer service.

Ive used a fair number of plates and not been able to tell the slightest difference between one and another.
The Freedom plate is based on the old U.S. Divers backpack. It is smaller than other plates and curved to fit your spine and ribcage. A tank will never move around, nor do I even notice the weight of a heavy tank when it's snug against my back. There are no sharp corners with silly bends in them. The Freedon plate is much more streamlined than any plate I've ever used. My fiancee calls hers a racing plate.

Those buckles are good and heavy duty but they are designed to be used under tension. While diving optimally we are looking for that weighless unrestricted feel where the tension at times may near zero in which case it is conceivable that the buckle could come apart. I would think if the straps were to be worn loosely this would increase the chance.
Excuse me if I am wrong or missing something please feel free to correct me. This is just my observation from my perception of the physics of how the buckle works . I have not experienced it first hand.

I have been diving them for over 3 years, as have been many others. Never had an issue with them coming apart. Their design prevents it even when loose. Even in the SAR harness you have times when the harness is not completely taut. The cannot unbuckle for those guys.

On the toughness, check Golem wings. Outer cover is made out of 2000 denier Cordura, the inner bladder is made out of 560 denier PU coated Cordura.
Pretty tough wings.

This is what we "shot" few year ago :)
YouTube - Golem Wing Shoot

The released used by Golem looks to be a fine bit of kit. If I was still in the military, I am sure I would have aquired something simular to use with my rig :wink:

+1 on the simple harness.

+3 on the simple harness. It may not feel great when you are vertical and walking, but when you are horizontal and swimming the weight is on your back, not your shoulders. Add a crotch strap and swim with your arms in front of you and the rig tightens up to become one with your body. I didn't really believe this "simple harness BS" initially, but I decided to buy a simple cheap harness first and try it out. (Only) fifteen dives later, I will not be buying anything but a simple harness. Having knowledgable advice in fitting the system is invaluable.

If you plan to travel by plane to a dive site, consider aluminum.

Wing size will depend upon what kind of suit and tank(s) you use. For single AL 80s and a 7mm wetsuit a 30# wing should suffice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom