Help me plan a BUDGET trip to max my diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello. First thanks for reading. I'm taking a 2 month break to try and dive me ass off. I figure Ill try the Philippines for a month then go to Indo. I've done some reading and think I am more confused than ever. I am traveling alone and am on a budget of around $100 USD a day. I'd like to do as much (good) diving as possible. It would be nice to do 3 dives a day if possible. Also where should I start? I was thinking of starting in PG ? Best budget dive operator or even where to stay (i can live without AC) Is it best to book ahead of time? Also can I work a deal if i buy 10+ dives? Lastly if anyone has a loose itinerary or list of places i should go to it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
If you decide to start in PG and are on a budget, if I might suggest Mark at Searider backpacker dive shop. They will pick you up at the ferry in their speed boat and take you back when you leave.
They have a web site and are located right next door to Action divers. They are located in small laguna and his prices are very good. He gives discount for multiple dives and if you need to rent gear, the prices were very good as well. I dove there for a week last year and many divers were staying as cheap as 500-800P night. I was $38 US a night for a resort right next to he dive shop with 180 degree view of the water, a balcony that was huge, AC, cable, full kitchen, hot water. Mark can arrange accomadations on very short notice in any price range you want. There are quite a few cheap eats in PG and I ate very well for $10-$15 US per day.

There's a terror organisation called "MILF"?!?!

Those guys should try a google search.... ha ha ha
There is no need to search. It is common knowledge even for an outsider in HK.
As for someone who claimed to spend considerable time in the country and never heard MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front)!!

I would recomment Puerto Galera, Stay at the Big Apple, room with out air is 500 P about 10 bucks with air is about 20, diving is great, food very good and cheep and so is the beer. I would plan for at least 150 dollars a day. If you were staying longer you can rent a house for 150 a month. I will be going back to the Philippines next oct for seven months I will be retired and for a thousand a month You can live very very confortable and at a DM level I can help out with some of the Dive resorts, also look up the Big Apple on line, retal gear is free.
if you have any questions you can e-mail me at psulion45@yahoo.com.

lee

I travel the world on a budget and usually base my holidays around diving. Im reading about people who spend $100-$150 a day in Asia, which absolutely boggles my mind. I usually spend $5-15/ night, $10/food & bottled water, and $18-$22/dive almost everywhere.
AirAsia is almost cheaper than bus travel.
Travelling alone, I find budget accomodation attracts other singles backpackers from around the world. Unless you enjoy your holidays with mostly married couples!
Why dont you have your own dive equipment? You dont have to buy the best. You could easily buy a BCD and Regs for well under $500.
Travel light and weigh your bags before you travel. You only need a couple pairs of shorts/shirts and a few toiletries. Im never overweight with all my equipment. Carry your regulator in your carry-on.
Go too the library and read 'Lonelyplanetguides' for your destinations. Write down the most important info on a piece of paper rather than lugging around heavy books.
Ive lived/dived on $70/day or less in Sipidan/Mabul Borneo, Flores/Komodo Indonesia, KohTao Thailand, Tiomen Island Malaysia.
If you could use any info on any of these places, let me know.

Hope some of this is useful to you.
-SCUDADAVE-

The system isnt allowing me to post any URL's yet.
I stayed at komodo divers just outside of Flores. They do have a web-site and was run by a niceGerman couple. Converting my costs to Canadian, I was charged aprox. $8/night in an fan room. I think breakfast was included in that price Lunch was included with your dives. I shared a boat with a Swiss gal to see the Komodo dragons on Rinca Island. $50 each, included park fee and guide. Each tank was aprox. $22, and 15% less with your own equipment. They seemed to have very good equipment.
In Flores there were a couple other dive shops with similar prices and also budget accomadation. Travel time to most dive sites were 1-1.5 hours, but through some of the most beautiful scenery this world has to offer.
Merpati offers cheap flights to Flores from Denpasar, but allow a few days on either end because of thier unreliability. Aprox. $110 return flight.
You can also take a ferry from Padangbai, Bali to Pulau Trawangan. Its one of the Gili Islands close to Lombok. From there if your extremely adventureous, once a week theres a boat/bus/boat/bus combination ticket too Flores. Takes quite a few days. Its not cheaper than Air, but would be an incredible experince.

Can you PM me the URL I did a google search and nothing came up.

Ive lived/dived on $70/day or less in Sipidan/Mabul Borneo, Flores/Komodo Indonesia, KohTao Thailand, Tiomen Island Malaysia.

-SCUDADAVE-
We are talking THREE dives a day in Philippines and NOT other countries!!!!
I have a copy of Philippines Travel Survival Kit(1994) which shown 30+ diving destinations over the country. But I had been to places where it did not get a mention.

US$70.00=P3,080.00(US$1=P44.00) to cover THREE dives per day and FULL BOARD!!!!!
Is there such a diving place exist in Philippines?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom