Color at depth science project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueringocto

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am doing my 7th grade science fair project on the filtering of colors in depth. I need to include the real life applications in my purpose. I was asking my teacher, who used to dive, what are the real life applications and he said commercial divers use color coded flags that look bright on the surface but the colors would be filtered out in certain depths and look brown. I wanted to get a verification on the fact that commercial divers use bright colored flags to mark different things underwater.

Thank you.

Blueringocto

What commercial divers will do is put diferent color electrical tape on a plexiglass board and when they take a picture have it in the photo so you are able to compare the undersea colors to the electrical tape on the board colors.

The only divers that I am aware of that use any fags would be scientist marking a transite area or archeologists marking a debris field. In my opinion, past about 40 feet deep any color code becomes unreliable due to the color shift due to ambient light being absorbed by the water.

We never used markers in my day. Though in most places you'd work commercially the ambient light was gone long before the working depth was reached (or it was obscured by some overhead) and you brought your own light (which also has color correction problems) Perhaps your teacher is thinking of direction markers vs depth markers.

We carry our own depth gauges today and back in the day it was done by "braille" (i.e. count the knots on the line) Or wait until they stopped your reel-out.

Thanks guys I will be sure to inclued the information in my purpose and the rest of the other parts of the paper work for the real life applications. I don't know what my teacher was thinking but he has been getting alot of stuff mixed up lately:acclaim:. How ever I am trying to get every thing cleared up and trying to get the right information as much as I can.

Thanks.

R O Y G B I V
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet
thats the order you loose colors the deeper you go
have never heard of colored flags but different colored tape on umbilical to designate how much you've got out .. i.e., 1 white 10' 2 white 20' , up to 4 then 1 yellow 50'... 1 red 100' and so on
good luck on your project

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom