Triple 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the amount of gas, well if you kept the a standard fill with the + of 2400 on the triple 72's you have 216 cubic feet - well my double HP100's are a bit lighter even if I don’t have that extra 16 cubic feet. If I did a cave fill, I might get 270 cubic feet - again the 3 sets of twin 130's in the garage are the better bet.

But, I do have the possibility of doing some nice deep dives with the double hose regulators as I have a center mounted yoke valve vs. tank mounted DIN valves. Just think of the fun of waving at the DIR types doing their drills on the deck of the USS Bass.

I have the Britannic episode and they dive triple sets. Sure looks like triple 72's to me. I'll bet Ryan Spence would back me up on that one. They dove those triple sets with Spiro Royal Mistrals too. Imagine a 400 FSW dive with a single stage reg!! Less is more!:wink:

I have the brittanic episodes to and your right they are triples, i must be going blind :blinking: I took a couple of screen-shots to show the ball things i was talking about:

brittanitcdivervintage.png

And another one showing the manifold better:

britannicdiverinhat.png

I must say i love how he keeps his hat on. I wonder what the "scuba police" would say about someone today doing a dive to 400ft inside a wreck on a single single stage twin hose carrying a single gas mix (though in Cousteau's case he had a chamber) and wearing only a wetsuit and a woolly hat with no BC and no computer :D And am i the only one who would love to do this just so I could go down to see the reaction of other divers on the wreck?

That totally rocks!

Congratulations!

Maybe I could do the same with 3 - 104's. :D

Oh, and you could use crab balls for trim adjustment.

Just so you can see how wide they are on me. I don't think I would take this rig inside of the U-boat or the USS Bass.

Tripplespost2.jpg

Actually, if it wasn’t for the terms of the contest where a vintage cotton harness had to be used, I would have just strapped on my freedom plate and a BC and be done with it. When I break these down for my set of triple 30’s or 40’s that is exactly what I will do. I still need to dive the beast, so next weekend it will be my dry suit with a large bubble and not much weight on the belt.

As I put these together I was thinking that Pete Gambel would have liked them for when he did his first dives on the Andrea Doria back in 1956 right after she sank. The largest tanks he had at the time were twin 72’s. I bet the extra tank would have been appreciated.

I may be wrong, but wasn't JYC's buddy, Frederick Dumas, the first to dive on the Doria after she sank, using a Mistral and double 72'S?

Pete Gimbel and Joe Fox dove her the days after she sank:

Andrea Doria-The Deep

Peter Gimbel-Life Magazine: The Andrea Doria was only 28 hours sunk when two divers, Peter Gimbel and Joseph Fox, made a daring descent into her grave. There, at 160 feet, Gimbel took this extraordinary photograph of Fox clinging to the stern of a lifeboat tethered by lines but floating upended on the buoyancy of air chambers, bearing the name of home port to which the Andrea Doria would never return.

The story I got about the dive is that they ran out out of everything, air, food, and gas in the boat to get back to port.

I may be wrong, but wasn't JYC's buddy, Frederick Dumas, the first to dive on the Doria after she sank, using a Mistral and double 72'S?

Actually, I've seen a photo of Frederick Dumas on the Andria Doria, and he was wearing a dry suit and the Cousteau triples (not 72 cubic feet per tank, probably more like 45). He was also wearing the La Spirotechnique equivalent of the DA Aqualung regulator. This was before the Cousteau team converted to the Mistral. It was a very fast dive down, and very short bottom time, from what I recall of the write-up.

There is a very good write-up on the Vintage Double Hose website by Slonda828.

SeaRat

Frederic Dumas @ Louis Malle were the second team to dive the wreck a week after the sinking. There is also link to the film here:

Cousteau Experience

The tanks:

4.jpg

-Ryan

On the Cousteau triples notice the tank on the right has the valve on the bottom. That is the reserve tank. When the two others went empty the valve on the right tank was opened and all three equalized. The tanks were made by spinning closed a steel tube and had openings on both ends. The left and right tanks are plugged on the top and all three are manifolded together on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom