Diving Taiwan (Kenting, Green Island) in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

We're going to Taiwan in December and I would like to do some dives there.
I thought about doing some shore dives off Kenting and some dives on Green Island.
Do you have any recommendations for tour operators/guided dives or any other suggestions?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,

PM Shellbackdiver1 in this board or his check him out at http://www.shellbackdiver.com.

He is an American expat living there and an instructor/guide that knows the area well. I have been diving with him at Kenting and on one of the nearby islands and was very pleased.

Mgrimmer,

I may be wrong, but last I heard "Shellback" has disappeared back to the States, I dove with him a couple of times last year but couldn't get hold of him a couple of months back ?

As is, whenever I head Kenting, I normally dive with Andy Gray - details as below.

Email: divingintaiwan@yahoo.com.tw
www.taiwandive.com - Kenting - Green Island - Orchid Island - XiaoLiuChiu

Andy works out of Newport dive centre, which is at the far end of Kenting town, and will sort out shore and boat dives for you, no problem.

Cheers and enjoy.

Wantonmien is right: Shellback Diver is in the States now.

Andy is a buddy of mine and in my opinion he's your best choice for a guide in Kenting, but if he's teaching a course when you're there, then he won't be free to guide you. I suggest that you contact him, and if he can't do it then you can PM me and I can suggest a couple of other folks.

As for Green Island, you should definitely go there if you can because the diving is better than Kenting. Can you speak Chinese? If so, I'd go with CF Diving. If you can't find them with an internet search, PM me and I'll give you contact info. If you can't speak Chinese, there's another dive center near CF which reportedly has an English-speaker or two, but I can't recall the name and don't have contact info.

When you're diving Green Island, spend a little time looking around in the seagrass in shallow waters -- the kind of seagrass with small circular leaves of white and green. If you're lucky, you'll find a Coleman's pygmy seahorse, like this one which is one of two that my buddies and I found when we were there in June: Coleman's Pygmy Seahorse - Green Island (16-20Jun10) C 632 (A3).jpg | Thomas Koenig Photography

I'll be there late Dec as well. I guess that would require a 5 mm wetsuit at least.

diverkim,

5 mm should be fine, last Dec I was in a 3mm and no problem, water was still around 25 ~26C

When you fix your dates, drop me a pm and may be will see in you in Kenting, as I am also planning a drive down there late Dec, prob christmas weekend.

cheers

It seems that Andy's website is blocked in mainland China -- at least for my location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom