Need suggestions for CENOTE operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcoreytaylor

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone -

I realize that I could spend untold hours scouring old threads to glean this information, however I want gather your suggestions in one thread (this one!).

I am returning to the Maya Riviera this January with my family to attend my brother in law's wedding and are staying at the Barcelo. We stayed there last year and I used the onsite dive operation - Dressel Divers - for my first tropical diving. This year I want to dive the cenotes and possibly hit Cozumel for a day. I can arrange these dives through Drressel, however I'd like to hear your recommendations for other local dive operators.

• Which operators have you used?
  • Did the operator pick you up at your resort?
  • Did you have to have 2+ divers in order for the DS to pick you up at your resort or would they pick up a single?
  • Are there certain cenotes that everyone always dives? Any I should avoid? Any must dives?
  • Has anyone stayed on the mainland and used one operator to dive the cenotes and make the trip to Cozumel as well?

Any help is appreciated. I'm especially interested in operators who will p/u at the resort.

Thanks !

Hi Corey! Stumbled upon your post so here's my 2 cents worth!
I stayed at the Barcelo Colonial in May 2010 and had a great time! Did only 1 reef dive with Dressel but was not impressed with the DMs. As for cenote diving, my friend Bil Philips runs a shop with accommodations right in the heart of Tulum which is a 30 minute or less taxi ride away. Get the concierge to ask for ALFRED the taxi driver. He is a very well educated man who speaks English eloquently. You'll enjoy the ride. Bil can set up cavern tours for you and your entourage based on your dive experiences, or can certify you in cave specialty if that's your goal. You can email him ahead of time to discuss dates and what you want to do. Say Hi to Bil for me if you go there! Speleotech
Cheers!
Sabrina

Oh BTW, I did cavern/cave tours with my very own guide at Grand Cenote, Carwash, Sugar Bowl and others that escape my memory just now. What you DON'T want is to hook up with an outfit that doesn't have safety as its priority. Nice plan you have, getting away from the snow and ice!!! Which Barcelo is the wedding at? Food is good there!!!

Sabrina

Hey there

I had an exceptioal guide to the Cenotes, he picked me up and I was on my own.

He is a Mexican guy called Alex and speaks perfect English his email address should still be yukacaver@yahoo.com.mx

I did about 6 dives in the cenotes, I believe gran cenote is the most popular. I did not leave the mainland and stayed in cancun.

I loved every minute of it and hope you do too

Hey Turbosab,

Hate to hijack the thread...but I'm headed to Barcelo in Feb, had some questions about the onsite op, sounds like you weren't that impressed? Did you end up going with someone else, any suggestions? I'd love to hear about your trip (diving and non-diving)! pm if you have time.

I stayed at the Barcelo Colonial in May 2010 and had a great time! Did only 1 reef dive with Dressel but was not impressed with the DMs. As for cenote diving, my friend Bil Philips runs a shop with accommodations right in the heart of Tulum which is a 30 minute or less taxi ride away.

Hey Sabrina - hello! Thank you for Bil's contact information, I will definitely get in touch with him. Did you dive in a group or was he more of a personal guide? Also, how did the cost compare to some of the others? I dove with Dressel in January 09 and they where very professional and affable, and you simply cannot beat the convenience as the DS is right out the front door of your hotel room.

Oh Nice plan you have, getting away from the snow and ice!!! Which Barcelo is the wedding at? Food is good there!!!

We stayed at the Barcelo Colonial as well and yes the food, actually the whole experience, was exceptional. I travel a lot and am pretty jaded - it takes a lot to impress me - the Barcelo was fantastic. We're staying at the Palace this year.

Hey Turbosab,

Hate to hijack the thread...but I'm headed to Barcelo in Feb, had some questions about the onsite op, sounds like you weren't that impressed? Did you end up going with someone else, any suggestions? I'd love to hear about your trip (diving and non-diving)! pm if you have time.

My experience with Dressel was good however I want to dive away from the resort this year so that is why I'm investigating alternatives. I've found that Dressel is a little more expensive than some of the other operators I've researched. They are also very conservative - which is a good thing - however I want to maximize bottom time (safely) of the few dives I'll be able to do.

Corey

I've used Dive Aventuras a couple of times. Great guys, full service, knowledgeable,etc.
(There's a DM there named Alex who is also terrific. I don't know if he is the same guy referenced in another reply.)
Cenotes are spectacular, not to be missed. I've done: Chac Mol, Eden, and Taj Mahal....
Most of your questions can be quickly answered by the Dive shops themselves. Just send them an email.

I've used Dive Aventuras a couple of times. Great guys, full service, knowledgeable,etc.
(There's a DM there named Alex who is also terrific. I don't know if he is the same guy referenced in another reply.)
Cenotes are spectacular, not to be missed. I've done: Chac Mol, Eden, and Taj Mahal....
Most of your questions can be quickly answered by the Dive shops themselves. Just send them an email.

We just got back from Puerto Aventuras, and Dive Aventuras has two great cenote dive guides, both Alex and Mario are super people, very professional, and the dive shop is first rate.

If you are looking for a very personal experience, I would recommend Natalie Gibb. She used to work with Dennis Weeks (who, if you look back through these threads, came highly recommended). Natalie's a kick -- a tiny, energetic, and personable woman with a lot of experience in the caves and a strong sense of safety. You can reach her at scuba.guide@about.com.

Another recommendation would be Jason Renoux, who is a personal friend and dive buddy of mine. (He's scubavideoservices on this board, I believe). He's another highly enthusiastic person, with a very extensive diving background (and mad skills) and a tremendous amount of enthusiasm.

Either would be a very pleasant person with whom to spend a day, and neither will put you in a van with a whole mess of other divers.

Hi kixy1, FB me and we can chat there...easier to answer your questions as they pop up! I'm "Turbo Sab" on FB. Cheers!
P.S. you can look at my pics from Barcelo too while there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom