Trip Report with Conch Republic Nov 15th & 16th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Conch Republic Trip Report
On November 15 & 16 2010 we got the chance to go out with Capt George from Conch Republic.
We went out for the afternoon dive to the Eagle. Only 6 divers total, so great..room to manuever. Leaving the dock with sunny 85* degrees topside and 65* at depth, the seas were a massive 1’, viz was 50+ with no current to speak of at all. You couldn’t ask for a better day….Dropping over the side, we sank into the depth following the line down to the wreck. It came into view at about 30’. Gorgeous….coral covered and teeming with life. We found 2 mating scorpion fish having it out in one of the nooks. The dive was interesting but short, a total of 39 minutes. I was amazed how quickly the time went.

11-15-10PB145215.jpg

11-15-10PB14521550.jpg

11-15-10PB14521532.jpg

Our second dive was a short jaunt to Davy Crocker reef, ah now we are talking. 25-30’ deep, 70 degree water temps, no current and TONS of life. The reef is very healthy, with great soft corals surrounding areas of soft white sand. Green Moray eels seemed to be hiding under all the outcroppings. A black & white spotted eel was out hunting, so I followed him around and got a great video. Lobster peeked out from under the corals and were so unafraid they would actually reach out and touch you with their feelers. Grunts covered the reef in a cloud of silver and yellow. Wonderful…we spent an hour taking pictures and just enjoying the scenery…

11-15-10PB145215171.jpg

11-16-1042.jpg

11-16-1040.jpg

11-15-10PB14521571.jpg

Reluctantly we surfaced and started our trip back to the real world. Back at the dock, there were huge dunk tanks and showers. So easy to dive there, Jason at Conch Republic let us hang our gear there overnight for our return to dive the next day. So unburdened, we went back to the resort Brenda set us up at.
Wonder of wonders for $85 a night the place is sublime. Ocean Point Resorts is a quick 5 minutes up in Key Largo. The check-in was quick & easy and we went right to the room. Unbelievable…..simply unbelievable, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, full kitchen, washer & dryer, 3 televisions. I had to pinch myself. $85 a night?????? I have stayed in many a 85 dollar a night places, and this ain’t one of them….THANK YOU BRENDA!!!! I slept like a baby. We went to Snappers restaurant in Key Largo that night and it was delicious…..Prices ranged from $15-$30 for entrees and were well worth it. Ah…back to the condo and the fluffy bed that was waiting. Gone by 10:00….we didn’t wake up until morning. Making breakfast in the condo would have been so easy, if we had know how nice it was I would have shopped, (not really, I’m on vacation). Then back to Conch Republic!!!!

Second day, conditions were a little rougher, not bad but for a known chummer, I got a little worried. Our 1st dive was on the Bibb with only 4 divers. Sometimes you meet the greatest people on dive boats and we weren’t disappointed. We dove with Ed & Kevin. 2-4’ chop and more current. Ride out went quicky, and when we stopped, yikes…get me in the water please……Once below I was fine, cool dive, but unfortunately one of our divers couldn’t stomach it so we dived as a threesome. Ed was another photographer, so we matched up perfectly with Jeff as our spotter and conscience…He kept us on the straight and narrow and out of deco. And of course at the last minute I spotted a lion fish, so I had to stop and take pictures, you know, as proof …..So 115’ and only 30 minutes….rats….get me to the reef……

11-16-1020-2.jpg

Snappers Reef, again healthy, fish filled and wonderful. 65 glorious minutes of all four of us in the water. Huge green eels, Southern stingray, spade fish everywhere….So fun, why can’t I live here forever…..Oh yeah, the real world…

11-15-10PB14521597.jpg

11-15-10PB14521575.jpg

11-15-10PB145215167.jpg

11-16-1060.jpg

Coming up as I bounced in the chop, I of course had to get queasy…and then once back on the boat, things went from bad to worse. And to the side I rushed….Sorry Capt George….I almost made it…..But at that point, all I wanted was the shore. I cancelled my afternoon dive, and Jeff went out with Ed & Tim. He makes a perfect dive buddy as he doesn’t shoot pictures. And he is great at spotting….and pulling the dive flag. So it was a great dive for all 3. They were supposed to do the Duane, but the current picked up to much so they did a drift dive instead. And since I wasn’t there turtles showed up. So not fair…..After that they went to Snappers Reef, and saw a ton of stuff. So a great couple of days with a great outfit. Thanks Gary & Brenda for a great time….

Link to more photos...
Key West with Conch Republic pictures by cheddarchick - Photobucket

Last edited:
What a great report and super pics.
CRD do it right every time. And those rates for Ocean Pointe - most excellent. A nice place to stay with a g-o-o-d pool.
Been trying for denial vis-a-vis Key Largo/Tavernier for late fall but you may have screwed up those plans. (Thanks)
Dontcha love that Eagle?!

enjoyed the report and great pics. love the shots of the spotted eel.
gotta get back down to the keys.

If I never wash my feet...Will I still be attached to the Keys with the left over salt?

Thnx for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom