Puerto Galera or Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The water temp is cooler in PG than Bohol in December :D

I have been to Sabang (PG) three times. I like the macro stuff there. I find there are more nudis there and more varieties of them. The three small ship wrecks located within swimming distance of each other are good for marine life. Most dives are slope dives. My diving was one dive in the AM, return for lunch then a PM dive.

Bohol is mostly wall dives or combo wall/slope dives. I do my diving with Seaquest. They have a larger banca boat for Balicasag Island that does three dives and/or the speedboat or banca for a closer AM-lunch return-PM dive.

IMO the overall vis is better in Bohol than Sabang.

Basically I'd say PG has Verde Island (and maybe the Canyons), Bohol has Balicasag Island (and maybe Cabilao but that's a longer trip!) - these are true world class sites and pretty much a must if you're visiting nearby! If you take these sites out of the equation what is left would probably favour PG, if I really has to choose between Verde and Balicasag I'd edge for Verde but Balicasag is a very, very close second.

Conditions wise I'd say the Visayas would be a safer option with regards to avoiding any potential typhoons, and as Gilligan say the weather should be better there and the water should be a little warmer :)

Either location would be a god choice but it may be worth mentioning somewhere different such as Malapascua as it's very hard to find anything other than excellent reports on that place while few places can offer the same chances to see thresher sharks, large rays and top macro.

On the other hand if you are on a limited number of days PG can be reached in 3-4 hours from Manila airport while Bohol and Malapascua would require an additional flight from Manila - allowing for airports, flight and no flying time you'd probably loose a day or more so maybe PG is the better option if you want to maximise the diving days!

The key thing is you'll have a great time at any of the three places mentioned - Unless a typhoon suddenly lands on the days your here! But here the really good bit, (almost) no typhoon will stop diving in both PG and Bohol/Malapascua, so with a little bit of last minute rearrangement and rebooking you can normally avoid any weather problems :)

I'll be in Bohol from Nov28-30, diving with Genesis Divers. If you decide to head out there, drop me a PM. Maybe we can dive together or meet up for a few drinks :)

Decided on PG Staying at El Galleon. Any idea on water temps for next next week.I am trying to figure out what suit to bring. Last 2 times we used our microprenes Hrom henderson and was warm eneough. We depart Friday

I was diving at PG two wks ago and was wearing rental(old) wet suits which comprised of 2/3mm full lenght + 2mm shorties + vest!!! And my buddy was wearing a lycra full lenght only !!!!!!
We all have different degrees of tolerance to anything.
If you still have space and luggage allowance then why not pack a 3mm full lenght or just a vest with hood. Worst comes worst you can hire a wet suit in PG. And if you are too concern with the hygiene, have the wetsuit soak in the detergent overnight and then rinse it properly. Keep the same wetsuit during your stay.

Just back from PG having dived with Asia Divers and stayed at El Galleon, it was so good that I have booked my return in February.

Easily do 4 dives per day (0800, 1030, 1330 and 1600) plus a night dive if you are still up for it.

NITROX for the whole week at $60, staff at both the dive operator and El Galleon are brilliant, as for the night life in Sabang, well after a couple of drings in the bar at the resort it was off to bed adn up at 0630 the next morning to prepare for another days diving.

"Boulders" is great for nudibranchs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom