Best wreck diving in USA poll. Please vote ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't imagine anywhere else can compare with North Carolina

The Straits of Mackinnac gets my vote. Vis is usually 30-80 feet with wrecks anywhere between recreational depths to Tech. Due to the cold water of the Great Lakes (this area isn't as cold as Lake Superior) the wrecks are very well preserved. Zebra Mussells have covered many of the shallow wrecks, but are just beginning to get at the deeper ones, still not as bad as Green Bay. Currents in the Straits seem to be somewhat effective at keeping these little freeloaders at bay.
Advanced cert. is pretty much the minimum here, as there are surface currents and the best wrecks lie beyond basic OW.
Anyhow, thats my 2 cents.

I would vote for Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence River. Literally hundreds of wrecks. Fresh water means they are very intact. Many of the wrecks are within recreational dive limits (80 to 120 feet). Downside is almost all wrecks are below 60 feet. Many St. Lawrence River wrecks are in strong current, Lake Ontario wrecks are below thermocline (45F in the summer).

I have not been to North Carolina. So I cannot say if going there would change my mind.

Great Lakes, fresh water wrecks, some as old as 100-200 yrs old, still intact, gets my vote, no colorful fish or sharks, but the wrecks are great. I still haven't been to NC or the Keys so i can't compare, but i love the histroy of the old wrecks up here. I am planning on getting to the wrecks in NC and the Keys.

I don't consider ships intentionally sunk as artificial reefs to be wrecks so that rules out the Keys. North Carolina and the Great Lakes have real wrecks.

Last edited:
I don't consider ships intentionally sunk as artificial reefs to be wrecks so that rules out the Keys, North Carolina, the Great Lakes have real wrecks.

Not sure if you were including North Carolina in the artificial reefs only part of your post, but, although there are many artifical reefs, there are also MANY authentic wrecks from not only WWI and WWII, but other catastrophies as well.

Not sure if you were including North Carolina in the artificial reefs only part of your post, but, although there are many artifical reefs, there are also MANY authentic wrecks from not only WWI and WWII, but other catastrophies as well.

I use a comma when I should have used a period. NC definitely has real wrecks.

Lake superior's north shore is great and many wrecks you can do from shore. Otherwise charter is a great option. Isle royal is also up past that neck of the woods- I haven't been there personally but many venture there annually.

Back
Top Bottom