Photos from Anilao, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wend diving off of Anilao a couple weeks ago and thought I'd share the shots from the trip. I had a wonderful time there. The sites mostly offered macro opportunities, but there were some dive sites that were so full of smaller fish that it made for some nice wide-angle shots. Night diving in Anilao was fantastic. :)

Please enjoy! (click on the image to view the whole album)

Wow, that squid shot is exceptional!

Karl W - There's been a crazy amount of squid (shoals of around 30-40 large squid) around Ligpo Island / Diver Sanctuary sites in the past few weeks, during the mating season. They seem to be there both day and night at the moment, there's not as many right now in in previous weeks but there's still a lot more than average!

Mating squid seem oblivious to divers until you get a little too close, sadly water viz close to the mating squid is pretty bad (best not to think about why!) so strobes need a lot of positioning or can cause more problems than they solve - getting a shot like the one above is not easy! I've now discovered squid don't seem to like the look/colour of a Z240 stobe as no matter where you place them on the bottom a squid won't go anywhere near it! I spent over half an hour trying for a similar shot and got no where near the one from Calvin!

Karl H

Thanks for the kind words :)

I think that shot was taken at the dive site "Apple".

Karl, perhaps your observation about the squid mating may explain the unusual behavior we saw in the squid while in Anilao. I only ran into two of these guys, but both times they behaved the same.

We'd come upon the squid just off of the sandy bottom and the squid would be a typical red-brown color. It would sit there and bob up and down in a pulsating movement near the bottom, occasionally changing a little iridescent here and there, but mostly staying reddish. Then, after some firing of the strobes (2 YS-250s), the squid would shoot up into the water column and begin turning wildly transparent and luminescent, doing a sort of dance - almost like it was drunk off of our dive lights and strobes; it would sort of dance around *toward* the light.

We were joking afterwards that it was like that Mountain Dew commercial where the guy hits his head on the window of the shop with the brightly lit soda machine, "aaaah such a pretty liiiiight....".

I was definitely really happy with the shots I got of both of the squids. The one you see here was alternating between coming after my lights and playing coy for what must've been a good 20 minutes. So, the hardest part was choosing the best photo to publish, which is always a good problem to have :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom