Which Can Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're using it to look at marine life, 10W is probably your best option - even 10W is harsh on marine life, and an accidental blast of it in their eyes is enough to scare off most critters (even the Pompano Beach nurse sharks - d'oh). Be aware of spooking the marine life.

If you're getting 3 lights, 10W is certainly more affordable both upfront, and in the long run, when it comes time to replace an almost inevitable broken bulb. If you were doing wreck or cave, 18W would be almost the default choice, but for open water signalling, 10W is plenty fine. They won't be as effective in bright sunny shallows though for signalling.

Just got the canister from Stealthdive. Nice nice kit. Simple, sturdy this is what I had in mind.

Thanks Dan for your speed, help and a good product… now I just need a 9000 Ah rig for my 18W.

Dave

I have Terkel light, and I must say it's a money well spent! What an excellent peice of equipment. I suggest you contact Chris from tech-blue (he is also here on the board) to get more information on it.

I also own a Terkel light, and it's a really well-built piece of gear. To be up-front about it, Terkel's a friend of mine ... but it really is a nice light.

Some folks don't like the "halo" around the spot. Personally I like it ... it's extremely handy for watching octopus at night (or any other nocturnal creatures who'd be "blinded by the light"). The spot is adjustable, and throws a beam a long way.

Tonight's dive was in 20-25 foot vis, and the beam easily reaches to that limit. BTW - we found two giant pacific octo's ... one inside an old dishwasher and another partly squeezed into what was once the engine block of a ship's diesel ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I would like to just let people in Pugetropolis know that we DO have demo lights - call me and we o diving, you can dive one of mine...

Cheers,
Terkel

diving a 10w helios. i agree that it is a little too bright for the marine life. these days i switch it to a wide beam for night dives so that the critters don't run away before i even get there.

having said that, the light was not as bright as i had imagined it to be. in about 25 to 30 ft vis, that is about the extent of the beam. anything beyond that is gonna be pretty hard to make out (this was using a focused beam).

but for some reason, it is bright enough to be used as a signalling light during the day. in the same 25 to 30 ft vis, i had no problems signalling other divers at that distance.

if you are buying halcyon lights, i think you'd still be somewhat subject to the luck of the draw. hasn't flooded yet (thank God!) but the ballast failed after the first dive, and now the HID bulb is starting to burn out a little (light getting a bit yellow, dark deposits at the bottom of the bulb). i'm sure not all their lights are like that cos i saw another diver with a 10w pro 6 who has had his for 3 years and it was working great.

Our team has 3 10wt EEs and one 18. Most of our diving is in the crystal clear (ok, a bit of a stretch) Lake Travis in Austin, TX. 2 of our 10wts are explorer cans, and my 10 is on a Helios 9 can. The 18 is a Helios 9 can as well. Light is good from the 10wts, but the other 3 of us are looking for 18s if that is any help. I agree with the 10wt if you are using it to look at life, but for anything else get the most output you can. I can see the 18 clearly in the murk when I can only just make out the 10s.

Reuben,

I'm surprised no one's said it, but if your maine reason for looking at a light is for photography, you might be better off with a strobe. Granted, I would love a canister light as well. Take a look at the uw photography forum on this site, or head on over to WetPixel.com .

DSAO,

Anthony

anth:
Reuben,

I'm surprised no one's said it, but if your maine reason for looking at a light is for photography, you might be better off with a strobe. Granted, I would love a canister light as well. Take a look at the uw photography forum on this site, or head on over to WetPixel.com .

DSAO,

Anthony
I'm using a Sea & Sea YS-90DX strobe. Like everybody else, I'd rather have two. But I want a can light. So I'm trying to see if it might be possible to supplement my strobe by using the light. Though as I think more about it, it seems less workable.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom