Orion boot tearing up my ankles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azrael

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not really sure how to describe the problem but it only occurs after multiple repeated dives over several days (just came back from key largo where 8 dive into a 16 dive week my feet were torn up).

Basically it's like the inside lining of the boot is just rubbing my skin off...Starting at the ankle and going down and foward directly under the seem of the boot I just had welts from the boot rubbing my skin....

So...anyone else have this happen? I love the boot for fit/warmth and they fit my fins great but I can't deal with skin "tearing" anymore...

Hi Azrael-
Sorry to hear of your issue and apologies for the delayed reply. This does not sound normal and we have had no reports of others with similar. Could it possibly be an allergic reaction to the neoprene or from extended wear in warm and wet conditions? Have you experienced this with other suits and/or boots previously?

I don't think it's allergic as the spots appear only the seem lines. It's both the seem that runs to the front and to the top. The boots are cleaned after use, dried and then stored inside (the same for the rest of my gear). I had a pair of Henderson Gold 7mm boots that never game me this issue. I just spent 2 nights in the pool water with no reaction and am preparing for a trip to Stuart's in February. I will check again on that trip, it may have just been that trip to key largo.

I know it is a pain, but for multiple day dive trips, you may have much better luck with wearing a nylon sock under the dive boot. How many of us wear shoes without any sock..and still expect the shoe to be comfortable?

You can often get away with fins/boots etc. that are not usper comfortable if you do 2-3 dives and then recover for a week. I used to dive for a living and often spent 5-6 hours per day 4-5 days per week with my feet soaked inside of urine contaminated dive boots. This type of abuse is going to irritate your skin eventually over several days.

A think pair of thin nylon dress socks, will probably do the trick. They have one drawback in that if you are scrambling over rough terrain, like boulders when shore diving, the boot may slip on your foot and make a traction problem. For all other, normal diving activities, a thin nylon sock will make a big difference over multiple days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom