What wetsuit should I bring in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaztheman45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Heading to the Philippines for 6 weeks in Feb-March. Not sure what the water temps are going to be and I'm wondering if I should bring a 3mm/5mm/7mm. Any Recommendations?

There is no answer for this!!!
I have seen GUE divers wearing their favourite DUI dry suits in PG while other divers were in shorties. Of course they did not dive together, that would be unacceptable for GUE divers diving with Sxxxxx!!

5mm will do but do bring a vest with hood just in case.

It really does vary on how cold resistant you are. Just for reference, dive shops rent almost exclusively 5mm full suits. I was fine in a 2/3mm full in february/march in Sabang.:coffee:

i'd say 5mm...thats the colder time of year and better to be a bit too warm than too cold....

I had no trouble with a speedo and a shorty last year in Feb. Most everyone was diving 3s with a few 5mm. My wife who gets cold while looking a picture of snow was in a 3 with a hoodie vest.

Was going over my dive logs during that time of the year. Water temperature is between 75 to 78 degrees fahrenheit and so I would be wearing a 5 mm wetsuit. Normally 80 deg fahrenheit and upwards, I'd be in a 3 mm. Maybe with that info, you can use that as basis in determining whether you'd be in a 3 mm or 5 mm.

Most places I know use 3/2 mm. I personally use a Mares 1 mm... I would bet that you will be comfortable in a 3mm especially since you are used to the cooler water temps of Hawaii.. If you find your getting cold while your here you can always find a hood to help with temp loss.

Cheers,
Roger

I use a farmer john 2/3mm with 0.5mm rash guard the whole year round when diving in the Philippines, my GF use the same set-up and we have never felt cold. We dove at Malapasqua last February and had no issues; only one I heard of who felt cold was a girl who used a shorty. As long as you do not use shorties then I think you should be fine with a 3mm wet suit.

I'll be up in the PI as well late Jan. I usually dive a 5mm comfortably from 18-24C waters here. I have a 2.5mm im intending to bring, anyone reckon I should bother with the 5mm? Id rather be lighter. I do have some fleece neoprene to wear underneath if the night dives are a tad colder?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom