car keys + shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you attach it to the carabiner, do you just use some hose clamps to attach a d-ring?

My waterproof canister is of this type Rectangle Floater W/ Adjustable Neck Cord Wholesale China when it is zipped in BC pocket the cord goes out of the pocket at the end of the zipper, and the carabiner hooks it to a ring on BC. I do this just to make sure I do not loose it when I take out other stuff from the pocket like extra light, signal sausage etc or if the zipper opens accidently. I think the vendor's idea was that you hang the thing on your neck but I do not like this.
I also keep my driver's license, one credit card and some cash in this canister, just in case of emergency. Not that anything bad could possibly happen if any of this stuff including US$$$ got soaked in seawater, but otherwise this items could simply get lost.

How deep have you had it? The OMS canister is supposedly rated to 660 feet but didn't see a depth rating for this one.

Back in the day one of the big wigs at a scuba mfg showed me how he did it, he used one of these guys Amazon.com: Master Lock 5400D Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock: Home Improvement: Reviews, Prices & more , same thing your local realtor uses to lock the keys to the front door. He just put it through the chain attachment part on his hitch and he was ready to go.

For me, I put an RFID chip in my hand and wired a reader up to my car. Now I just lock my keys in the car and when I'm ready to get back in I wave my hand over the window and it unlocks ;-)

My Ford has a keypad entry, so the keys are locked inside. My husbands Dodge has a chip key. We take a valet key that he keeps on a lanyard around his neck.

How deep have you had it? The OMS canister is supposedly rated to 660 feet but didn't see a depth rating for this one.
As deep as I could go;-) Do not worry about it. When you lock it the lock feels kinda too easy so you would wonder how this thing could lock tightly. But the only time it had a mild leak was when some sand got onto the rubber O-ring. Luckily, a couple of $20 bills inside the canister acted as sponge so the car remote control was not hurt.

My Ford has a keypad entry, so the keys are locked inside. My husbands Dodge has a chip key. We take a valet key that he keeps on a lanyard around his neck.
This is certainly handy for you islanders but for us mainlanders who drive rentals the best option is to leave the car unlocked with no valubles in it and take the key, your license, and some money/credit card with you.

Thanks for this thread. It's a comfort to know that I'm not the only one who's lost the car key while diving. Much wailing & teeth-gnashing ensued while we waited for a locksmith & anticipated the hundreds of dollars we'd spend to break in to our own car. Props to AAA for covering a big chunk of the cost; membership definitely paid off this year. And my $3 hide-a-key is my new bff.

Stop locking your key in the car. Or if you are going to do this review your insurance policy with your agent to make sure they do not have a disclaimer in there if it is stolen with the key they are not going to pay. There are so many otter box type containers out there it is easy to take the key with you.
My 2001 Dodge Dakota has just an ordinary key. I tie it through my inner string on my boardshorts and it is safe and sound as long as I caome back with my shorts on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom