Defog--what works best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok use soft scrub to clean the mask before trips
then johnson babby sampoo rinse once and your off
walmart has travel bottles i use to carry a smaller size.

Travel sized baby shampoo costs about 50 cents and a bottle lives in my mask box.

Travel sized baby shampoo costs about 50 cents and a bottle lives in my mask box.

same here.:D

thread derail, but...

I agree, if my mask were any more loose, I would be diving strapless.

Now if only you were a girl?

I have to wear a hood, that's how it is. I also use a neoprene cover over all my straps thing unless old time diving because they are quick and prevent twisting.

Many a time the thing floats above or in front of my head until I realise or it is pointed out to me. A click or two is prudent when it's rough.

So what's all the fuss about.

Now some older rubber now that's a different story.

So you had better leave some for me string. So where's the Hijab?

50/50 mixture of generic baby shampoo and water....works like a charm, and doesn't give your eyes nasty chemical burns!

I use variation of this. Baby shampoo mixed 50/50 with isopropyl alcohol.
Some magazine did a review of it vs all the pricey stuff and spit. As I recall
it not only worked best but much easier to apply. I find it works perfect.

--Mike

I'm so new into diving that I've only done the spitting and toothpaste with my first ever mask.

However, I've heard that some divers "burn" the inside of the mask with a lighter. Not so that the lens gets black or melts, of course, but so that the heat of the flame burns any grease and whatever stuff there is that causes the fog. I haven't had guts to try that as I don't know if my mask is be made of material that can really take such a radical operation...

Another method I've heard is to pour sugared coke into the mask and let it be for some time. After that you can put the coke back into the bottle and serve it to a dive buddy. :wink:

Any experience of these methods?

+1 for baby shampoo. Works great and my mask is always super clean...no defog residue.

Its the good O'l fassion way for me...SpIT!

Back
Top Bottom