I drank the koolaid!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! You guys sure now how to come through for a gal! Methinks my homework is done. Now, on to those worksheets.... :D

I'm praying I can figure it out myself! ...

This is team diving your getting yourself into here Lee Anne. That means team homework too. I've sent many numbers of emails/phone calls out during my classes to get it figured out.

Glad to hear you've had a good time so far!

During the GUE pool day I listened to Bob give a 5 minute talk on why the reg bolt snap should be the way it is, how to grip it, which way to clip it etc. It wasn't that he had an answer, it was more so that he/they have put so much though into the why of everything. I've never once been told to do something just for the sake of doing it.

This is team diving your getting yourself into here Lee Anne. That means team homework too.

:D Excellent point, and thanks for the reminder.

I just figured out one silly little thing that had me stuck for an embarrassingly long time. The Gas Management worksheet says the following:

In order to determine cubic feet for a given cylinder one merely divides the rated pressure by the volume of the cylinder. for example, one can calculate the cubic feet of 1,000psi in an AL 80 as follows:

1) 80 ft3 divided by 3000psi = .026 ft3 / psi
2) .026 ft3 X 1,500 psi = 39 ft3

I've been staring at this and staring at this and staring at this, thinking I must be stupid. Why didn't this make sense to me? FINALLY it dawned on me that the text says to calculate the cubic feet of 1,000 psi --- but the formula is calculating the cubit feet of 1,500 psi! OMG, why did they do this? Why did they say "one can calculate 1,000 as follows:" but then do the calculation on 1,500? Is it to trick me?

Aaargh! I'm just relieved as hell that I'm not stupid! (Well maybe I am, but at least now I can move on!) :wink:

Drink the koolaid and come on over to the dark side as well . . .(much easier using the Metric System instead!:D).

Hang in there . . .I remember when Steve was learning the gas calc formulas in our fundies class --and now he's teaching it as a full-fledged GUE Fundies Instructor!

Quality control. Let 'em know.

Yup. It's probably just a typo, and most people notice it right away. But I got stuck. I'm more annoyed with myself than anybody else. :wink:

So that's two items of feedback for GUE: 1) Number the worksheets (I was trying to do gas management with dissimilar tanks before I was doing gas management!) And 2) fix that durn typo.

Yup. It's probably just a typo, and most people notice it right away. But I got stuck. I'm more annoyed with myself than anybody else. :wink:

So that's two items of feedback for GUE: 1) Number the worksheets (I was trying to do gas management with dissimilar tanks before I was doing gas management!) And 2) fix that durn typo.

I found something that I thought should be addressed and in quick order it was. Just send them an email or something and I'm sure they will address it.

One of the many things I've been able to sponge up along the way are tank factors.
It made gas planning a lot easier.
For some reason Ohm's law is my mnemonic (V = I*R), but in gas planning (Volume = tank factor * pressure)
Or, the way it works in my head V = T*P.

Have great time with the class, I'm looking forward to taking it in the near future.

One of the many things I've been able to sponge up along the way are tank factors.
It made gas planning a lot easier.
For some reason Ohm's law is my mnemonic (V = I*R), but in gas planning (Volume = tank factor * pressure)
Or, the way it works in my head V = T*P.

Have great time with the class, I'm looking forward to taking it in the near future.

Good post. Different people remember things differently. Mnemonics rarely work for me (especially ones like SADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD or newer versions with three or more of the same letter), though I will admit to still having "pee in the ivy" plastered in my brain from learning Ohm's Law in highschool physics.

Regarding gas planning and other scuba math (dalton's law stuff, etc.) I just work the units. Work better... for me.

Yes, dimensional analysis is always my sanity check in physics. If the units cancel, you've probably done the calculations right!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom