Anacapa on the Spectre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Megalomegalodon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Went out on the Spectre this past Saturday. First time on the boat. My buddies and I arrived the night before to avoid having to get up real early, coming from Orange County. I have to say the crew was excellent and the choice for dive locations was very good. The were
1. The Sea Lion Pit
2. Pelican Reserve
3. Fishbowl
4. Cathedral Cove

The weather was great and the conditions were perfect. Big lookie was a 4.5'-5' swell shark along with a couple of eels. Some real big sheepshead and bugs at Cathedral Cove. I would deffinately dive the Spectre again, but will probably just show up in the morning. Bunks were ok but I couldn't really get a good nights sleep. That is just me though. As for the boat, crew and dive locations, I give it 4.5 stars. :D

I went on the Sunday (of the stupid time change) the last 2 years. It was great. Get up there on Saturday night, get some dinner and load the boat. Then get an extra hour of sleep in the AM and wake up to dive on the island. Life is good.

The Spectre is a well ran boat with a great crew. I also love the drop off the side. You hit mach 2 before the water.

The one site I can't get my head around in the Pelican Reserve. I've been there a couple times and if not for scooters I'd have given up, the site is just boring from what I've seen.

Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing the report!

I can't say that Pelican Preserve (or is it Reserve?) is my favorite dive either. I also thought that it was too shallow and boring. About the only "exoticism" with that site is you have a short window at the end of year to dive it and then it's off limit again.

How was the Sea Lion spot? Did you guys get swarmed with the puppies?

I can't say that Pelican Preserve (or is it Reserve?) is my favorite dive either. I also thought that it was too shallow and boring. About the only "exoticism" with that site is you have a short window at the end of year to dive it and then it's off limit again.

How was the Sea Lion spot? Did you guys get swarmed with the puppies?

We did swim with the puppies. There were two large groups just waiting for us to hit the water. This spot seemed geared towards divers completing class dives. very shallow with big sandy areas. The sea lions did make up for it though. As for Pelican Reserve (Preserve), I also thought is was a little boring. Lots of smaller low level rocks to swim over. It was very bright and that made it somewhat interesting.

Yeah, there is nothing to see at the sea lion rookery other than the sea lions themselves. Since that it's open and sandy AND shallow, you can do all sorts of acrobatic maneuvers along with the sea lions and don't have to worry much about killing yourself.

I'm going this Saturday - 11/13. I'll report back after the dive.

Damn....was on it not too long ago and did 4 at Santa Cruz. I love Anacapa but the conditions there kept us at SC all day. Maybe I'll try for the 20th. How many did you have on the boat that day?

It's December already. Most of the warm weather divers have already sworn off until next summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom