Drysuit boot question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gil Middlebrooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Newbie question: Does one have to have drysuit boots? Can you just put your fins over the socks that are part of the suit? I understand the need for boots if one has to walk long distances or have rocky shore/beach entrances. But what about boat diving and short quarry walk-ins where rocks and distance are not much of an issue?

A variant: Could one buy slightly larger wetsuit booties and use those instead of buying a set of drysuit boots?

Newbie question: Does one have to have drysuit boots? Can you just put your fins over the socks that are part of the suit? I understand the need for boots if one has to walk long distances or have rocky shore/beach entrances. But what about boat diving and short quarry walk-ins where rocks and distance are not much of an issue?

You are willing to risk the integrity of your suit to save buying boots and possibly a larger size fin? Penny-wise, pound-foolish, IMHO.

I have seen people put on some Converse (Chuck Taylors) for dry suit boots :idk:. It seemed to work for them. Edd Sorenson at Cave Adventurers throws in a pair of dry suit boots with an order Dry suits

A variant: Could one buy slightly larger wetsuit booties and use those instead of buying a set of drysuit boots?

I asked two renowned instructors (one GUE, one PDIC) a similar question.

Here is the rub:

'Rockboots', while great to walk around in, will restrict the range of ankle articulation. This articulation is crucial for advanced propulsion techniques. Therefore, divers who strive for optimum propulsion control and efficiency seem to prefer plain socks (possibly with wetsuit booties) or 'turbo soles' which are thin sneaker soles glued to the drysuit sock.

If your drysuit does not have an integrated boot , but rather it is a neoprene sock, you need a shoe of some sort. It will protect the integrity of your drysuit and greatly decrease foot fatigue (you need some support from a stiff sole when kicking, especially if you are not in a full-foot fin).

wjefferis suggested chucks. In two weeks I will be testing this out. My DUI suit came with rock boots, which are great with my triple socks for cold water. With fewer socks the boots are too loose. I bought some chucks (red, because I could) and used an awl to sew 1-inch webbing onto the back to help me pull them on.

If you are on a dive boat in FL (Jupiter/West Palm) later on in the month and see someone in a drysuit with red chucks, please say Hi.

Yes, depending on the sock material, you can use wetsuit booties instead of dry suit boots. That's what I do when I use my husband's Fusion as my backup suit. Chuck Taylors also work pretty well, and don't restrict your ankles, and DO give you quite a bit of padding against rocks.

The sock materials are generally not designed for a lot of friction or stress, so using them without anything over them is likely going to end up with leaks in short order.

The biggest problem with socks and overshoes is that the overshoe or boot can come off, and with it, you lose the fin. In open water diving this is an inconvenience; in overheads, it's a disaster.

When I first got my Fusion, I used wetsuit boots to test in out in the pool. Now I'm using Chuck Taylors with it, and I've been pretty happy with them as a choice. They're comfortable, I can use the same fins with them as with my wetsuit, and the price is right. Plus, there are lots of color choices!

I've seen people use wetsuit boots in a pinch, but I love my integrated boots.

When I first got my Fusion, I used wetsuit boots to test in out in the pool. Now I'm using Chuck Taylors with it, and I've been pretty happy with them as a choice. They're comfortable, I can use the same fins with them as with my wetsuit, and the price is right. Plus, there are lots of color choices!
High top Chucks or the low cut version?

("Back in the day," (in high school), we'd buy two pairs of Chucks in our High school colors. We all wore one green and one white one each day. Of course, they cost about $12 a pair then!)

Back
Top Bottom