Oct. 31 Bohol pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice Set!

As if we needed more proof it's the photog, not the camera! I noticed this set mentions you didn't use the internal strobe and on some previous S-90 shots I gathered you had used it. Are you your YS-27DX or other lighting on these photos? Curious how you feel the camera strobe does for UW work, aside from the usual limitations of built-in flash. Glad you are able to keep shooting! // ww

As if we needed more proof it's the photog, not the camera! I noticed this set mentions you didn't use the internal strobe and on some previous S-90 shots I gathered you had used it. Are you your YS-27DX or other lighting on these photos? Curious how you feel the camera strobe does for UW work, aside from the usual limitations of built-in flash. Glad you are able to keep shooting! // ww

Thanks for your compliment.

Sorry if my choice of words misled you. These were taken with the internal strobe except for the Filefish shot which was a non-strobe shot.

I haven't used my strobe yet with the S90. I will rig it up with my 27DX the next time I borrow the S90. Don't want to make a pest of myself :no:

The camera's internal strobe is of course more limited than a slave strobe. You can't get very close to macro subjects or you will have a darker area on the bottom right of the photo due to the position of the strobe versus the lens tunnel on the housing. I will point out, as I have done before, that the S90 camera has less zoom than the G cameras therefore a shorter housing lens tunnel which translates to less on-board strobe impairment. Overall there is no substitute for an external strobe. However, for those folks that just want to dive with a compact camera in a compact housing, not spend a lot of money and still get good photos, the S90 or S95 can do that so long as you make use of the camera's features.

As you can see from the below photo the G10 housing has a longer lens tunnel than the S90. So using the G10 or G11 or G12 with only the camera's strobe will require a lot more "tricking" the camera to get good shots; like backing farther away from the subject than with the S90 or putting the subject in the top left portion of the frame then cropping it in post-editing. I still cropped some of the above shots but then again I am a "cropping addict".

As a footnote others have pointed out the S90 or S95 is a better choice than the G series cameras for add-on wet mount lenses, especially a WAL (in non-Canon housings) as there is less vignetting due to less zoom. I can't verify that but logically it makes sense.

G10_S90_housings.jpg

Great Pics Jim. I am trying to decide between PG or Bohol, what do you think?

PG has colder water in January than Bohol :D

I have been to Sabang three times. I liked Sabang for the macro stuff as I found more nudis there, and more varieties of them, than any of the other Phil locations I have been to. I have not been to Anilao which I understand is a great macro location. Sabang also has three small ship wrecks near each other that have a lot of marine life on them. There is the Alma Jane wreck at 100 feet which is ok but the vis is usually not so great.

Sabang is slope diving and Bohol is mostly wall dives.

Vis overall is better in Bohol than Sabang and that may be a deciding factor for you?

Both are good dive locations.

Jim I think your answer (along with your photos!) just set me back $500+. I enjoy shooting a G10 w/ an external 110-A but haven't been able to convince my best dive buddy to give up her old Fuji F-30 w/ it's small housing. She just doesn't want to mess with a tray and strobe or a lot bigger housing.

Thanks to your housing comparison shot I can see the S90 housing is bigger than the Fuji's but not as big a jump as the G series housing would be. The S90 or S95 would easily out perform her Fuji, even if she never adds a strobe. Hmmm, thanks. I think...:eyebrow: // ww

Jim I think your answer (along with your photos!) just set me back $500+. I enjoy shooting a G10 w/ an external 110-A but haven't been able to convince my best dive buddy to give up her old Fuji F-30 w/ it's small housing. She just doesn't want to mess with a tray and strobe or a lot bigger housing.

Thanks to your housing comparison shot I can see the S90 housing is bigger than the Fuji's but not as big a jump as the G series housing would be. The S90 or S95 would easily out perform her Fuji, even if she never adds a strobe. Hmmm, thanks. I think...:eyebrow: // ww

:D So far I prefer my G10 with my YS-27DX, when my G10 was working :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom