SLR vs HD camcorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nearly all video camera housing come with a red filter which is an absolute necessity if/when you are not using video lights. One thing to remember when using an SLR with video is that your video is going to be ALL blue under about 15'. You will then have to do some serious color correction when you edit the video. The only way around this is to jerry-rig some type of red filter to put on your lens port (of a video/SLR) when you are shooting video, OR, you will need to have BOTH strobes and video lights attached to your housing.

Honestly, the only time that video is interesting (and true) from a video/SLR is when you are your viewers don't care about the color of things - such as video of a bait ball, dolphins playing under water, or shots of a shipwreck.

If you want to get an SLR that also does video, that's fine. But, save the video taking for out-of-the water.

There's an interesting post on this over at Wetpixel Red Filter Too Red - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

This is not specific to underwater, but quite a good video debate on Video vs HDSLR here.

Not really a debate, but a good discussion on pluses/minuses, when to use, when not to use a DSLR.

Long story short: DSLR is great for super wide angle and shallow depth of field shots.

Nearly all video camera housing come with a red filter which is an absolute necessity if/when you are not using video lights. One thing to remember when using an SLR with video is that your video is going to be ALL blue under about 15'. You will then have to do some serious color correction when you edit the video. The only way around this is to jerry-rig some type of red filter to put on your lens port (of a video/SLR) when you are shooting video, OR, you will need to have BOTH strobes and video lights attached to your housing.

Honestly, the only time that video is interesting (and true) from a video/SLR is when you are your viewers don't care about the color of things - such as video of a bait ball, dolphins playing under water, or shots of a shipwreck.

If you want to get an SLR that also does video, that's fine. But, save the video taking for out-of-the water.

Hi kroorda. The reason why we've all opted to go digital and not film is take advantage of the infinite possibilities of digital post production. Ultimately, all clips are going to pass through final cut or premiere pro. And all clips, underwater or not, should be graded in accordance to the film makers intention. Color correcting the blue is not at all serious. It can be done with a flick of the mouse, even with stock software.

I am also a director, and I've used the 7d for travel shows and music videos. Underwater, it is a powerful tool for narrative. I've rarely used my fisheye 1000 video light, but it's also because it's not enough for my 10-22mm. But even then, the blues on my clips are not at all bad.

Lens, IMO, is the primary reason why people should switch to the SLR for cinematography.

I am also looking at the Sony A55. Very interesting. Ikelite will be releasing a housing in a few weeks. I called and asked. I am assuming the price will be $1000 give or take a few hundred.

Hi, am looking at buying a Sony XR550.

Could you please let me know the rest of your set-up. Lens and lights. I am looking at buying this camera with a Mangrove housing. Do you have any experience with these housings? Also, do you have advice for the lights. Thanks for any help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom