Mask strap and skirt keep turning yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you buy a pair of SP Jets at the same time as the BP/W that will certainly sort out the yellowing mask problem. In fact, every piece of gear you own will turn a lovely even shade of black, and some of it may even grow blue H's.

Hmmmm..... standardised mixes.

I just wonder what power could be bestowed on a diver if they had a BP/W, split fins, AND................................................................a Spare Air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I just wonder what power could be bestowed on a diver if they had a BP/W, split fins, AND................................................................a Spare Air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

:popcorn: Looks like a good thread to start. I would like to see what everyone can come up with.:popcorn:

The power to make hot dive chicks swoon with love.

Buy a yellow mask with a matching strap and your troubles are over.

Dive masks with yellow skirts and straps were quite common at one time. You can still occasionally bid for one of these vintage models on eBay. So far as I'm aware, however, only one swim mask with a yellow skirt and strap remains in production worldwide:
175.jpg

It's the Akvanavt-1, made by the Ukrainian company Kievguma, and it is featured at
http://tinyurl.com/38ejqgf
http://www.sportsvit.com.ua/product334.html
The first online store doesn't stock it at the moment, however, while the second prices the mask at 50 Ukrainian Hryvnia, a mere $6.37 in US currency.

You can get the same mask in blue. Fourteen masks with blue skirts and straps are still manufactured around the world.

The power to make hot dive chicks swoon with love.

I guess I'll be going to the dive shop this weekend to make a few purchases! :eyebrow:

While a black mask would fix the yellowing issue, I don't personally care for the tunnel vision that a black mask gives me.

Try a low-volume, frameless mask like the Atomic Aquatics

atomicframeless.jpg

By eliminating the frame, and putting the glass close to your eyes, this mask has the widest field of view - both horizontally and vertically - of any mask tested by ScubaDiving magazine. Accordingly you can't really SEE the skirt above, below, left, or right of your field of vision.

And, if you still want a clear skirt anyway... they make one of those too>>>

frameless_cl.jpg

I was told putting your mask into a fin pocket of a rubber fin, IE Jet fins, will turn it yellow quickly. I do it to my mask out of necessity sometimes since space is an issue on my boat. Mine is barely starting to change color after a couple of years and numerous dives. FWIW I have a Mares Liquid Skin.

Buy black, I find reflections on the faceplate is worse with clear masks. The only real advantage to clear is it allows more light on a diver face when being photographed

I have an old Dacor mask that I love to use because of the perfect fit but I have had to learn to live with the discoloration.
a6890b37-dd77-bfaa.jpg

And I also have a newer Scubapro mask that I have managed to keep clear by minimizing direct exposure to sunlight.

While a black mask would fix the yellowing issue, I don't personally care for the tunnel vision that a black mask gives me.
So I have learned to live with the compromise in stylish appearence.

Since you really can't see though the mask skirt anyway the tunnel vision thing is mostly perception not reality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom