What form of redundant Gas supply is preferred?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google on scuba stage bottle rigging. You'll see pre-packaged kits, and instructions.

whaddaya think of the H2Odyssey Extra Air system, H2Odyssey Extra Air System reviews and discounts, H2Odyssey ?

It looks like junk.

Basically, they are marketing it as an 'alternative' for those divers who don't want to be bothered with buying separate 1st stage, 2nd stage, hoses etc?!?

It's just a regulator, without a proper hose. It means you have to take time to deploy a cumbersome cylinder in an OOA emergency, rather than just grab a regulator on a hose and breath from it.

A cheap marketing ploy,...with a design that will reduce your safety in the water.

It looks like junk.

Basically, they are marketing it as an 'alternative' for those divers who don't want to be bothered with buying separate 1st stage, 2nd stage, hoses etc?!?

It's just a regulator, without a proper hose. It means you have to take time to deploy a cumbersome cylinder in an OOA emergency, rather than just grab a regulator on a hose and breath from it.

A cheap marketing ploy,...with a design that will reduce your safety in the water.

i agree with you there.

i don't know if you have ever been involved in an incident, but if you have then you will know that no matter how good your training or how often you practise then time is your most precious resource. anything which slows you down is life threatening.

i don't know if you have ever been involved in an incident, but if you have then you will know that no matter how good your training or how often you practise then time is your most precious resource. anything which slows you down is life threatening.

I've been involved in a few accidents, and many many more incidents (avoided accidents). That's why I am very errrmmmm 'zealous' :wink: in my condemnation of those things I see as detrimental or detracting from diver safety.

That's especially true where equipment commits the double sin of being detrimental to safety AND leads the diver concerned into a false sense of confidence.

Sure mate....am a Brit also. Just been living abroad for too long :wink:

AL80 = slightly smaller than 12l. More detailed explaination below, courtesy of wikianswers....

Thanks for the whole answer. i had it worked out that they were either 10l or 12l, what i had forgotten was that they still use psi not bar so this fully answers my question. i now know i can get a decent length dive on an 80 when i've paid a small fortune to be on the other side of the world. i was considering asking if i could have 2 cylinders & taking my 10/12 twinning bands if they were 10l cylinders.

I've been involved in a few accidents, and many many more incidents (avoided accidents). That's why I am very errrmmmm 'zealous' :wink: in my condemnation of those things I see as detrimental or detracting from diver safety.

That's especially true where equipment commits the double sin of being detrimental to safety AND leads the diver concerned into a false sense of confidence.

i'm pleased that i've only been involved in 1 (and that's 1 too many). what i learned from that incident about myself and about how to handle a situation was invaluable.

i totally agree with you, i'm happy to try a new piece of kit, if it works brilliant, but no way will i try it without my old faithfulls to fall back on untill i'm happy with it.

Florida Diver here.

My main tank is a HP120 and solo is a strictly no deco thing for me, so doubles are not needed. I have a 6cf I take on shallow dives for bailout and a 19cf for anything over 50ft. The 6cf just gets slung, the 19cf goes on a Highland tank strap bracket upside down so I can reach the valve and the hose routes up over my left shoulder to an XS Scuba inline octo that hooks to my BC inflator. I end up using a couple hundred PSI from the pony for boyancy during the dive, but I like to know that if I end up out of air and tired, I can inflate at the surface from the pony. I also like the placement, for both convienince, and it never gets out of its octo holder and ends up floating off in space. I take the BC inflator hose from my usual setup and either tuck it away or attach an air nozzle to it for easy fill of my SMB/Lift bag.

SeaHorsey,

After my OW I bought the H2Odyssey. I liked the fact that it was twice the volume (6cf) and more robust as compared to the Spare Air. My deceision was based on my limited experience coupled with my LDS' "cruiseship" recreational mindset with their experience limited to their product line. Based on some other comments I was also concerned that airlines would prohibit transporting tanks (13cf or larger) on trips. I made 2 training dives with the H2Odyssey and it worked as promised. I didn't have any issue hanging it or accessing it, but a slung cylinder is definitely easier. The shortfall / issue that I had with it is was based on my SAC rate...6cf would not provide sufficient gas in the case of a real emergency especially at depth. As a result it got shelved and has sat unblemished in the closet for the past couple of years...future ebay item.

As I recall I spent around $400, which is plenty to buy a tank and modest regulator. At the time if I had held off and gotten a little more experience under my belt I would have simply bought a 19 cf tank, which as it turns out is no problem with taking onboard an airline for a dive trip. If it were a backup tank that I didn't plan on taking aboard planes then I would do as Rob suggested and buy a 40cf that could double up as a deco/stage bottle.

If you are still interested in buying the H2Odyssey...I'll pull it out of the closet and give you at a great price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom