Rigging a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people I know love double steel 85's but most that I know wouldn't dive aluminum 80's doubled because of their bouancy when they start getting low.

Pony on for me. If I dived with it configured valve down then I would probably leave it off. I may try it that way next time I dive one in the quarry.

For me it is valves down turned on. I don't understand why you would want the complications of trying to turn on the valve during a OOA situation. The task load it great enough without having to worry about turning on the valve.

Calvin mentioned that he has heard of people putting their Octo on their pony. By getting rid on one hose you sure increase your chance of major problems if it is needed. Granted I have had people think that is what I do until I tell them I have a Air Source as a Octo and the yellow Octo is on my pony. I have always figured that if my buddy needed air he would grab either my 2nd stage in my mouth or the yellow octo. I would then hand him my long primary and breath off my Air Source. In fact this is what I did with a instructor when I was in DM training and he pulled one of his surprise drills on me.

Aquanautchuck:
For me it is valves down turned on. I don't understand why you would want the complications of trying to turn on the valve during a OOA situation. The task load it great enough without having to worry about turning on the valve.

It can prevent a free flow from the second stage purge button being depressed. Probably depends where your valve is... YMMV...

I rigged my pony under my bc on the front, it works pretty well.

What i did was to take 2 pipe clamps, like 2 dollars at home depot, and tightened them each down over a clip, then covered the clamps with rubber dip to prevent rusting.

Then I took an old wetsuit that I wanted to turn into a shortie anyways and cut a leg off, slipped it over the tank and cut two holes for the clips. run a 2 inch strap down the inside of your bc (i used a carabeaner connected to the bottom of my shoulder strap)to the right length so that when you clip it in its snug on the bottom, keeps it from dragging

then I hooked up my old US divers regulator to it with a small bungy cord holding down the looped end of the hose and the mouthpeice connected to a octo holder on the bottom of my bc.

I like it this way, its right there if I ever need it. and I never even notice i have it on most the time.

hope that helps anyone looking to rig it yourself for less than 10 bucks

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that.

Thank you, Jonythan. It's Jackassery, one-upmanship, and the general know-it-all attitude of a great majority of the people on this site that quite honestly detract from it's intended purpose, and frankly make me seldom ask questions or contribute. I think half the people on here simply post stupid remarks to have a higher post count so they appear knowledgeable. If you don't have something constructive to say, keep it to yourself. If you want to be a smart ass, start a thread for joking and general BS. If someone asks a question, and wants to learn, it's not an invitation for you to criticize them or show how cool you are.

To answer the question:
These are some old pics of a travel sling system for an Al 80. You can use thinner rope and a hose clamp instead of a cam band but the mechanics are the same. I dive doubles, ponies and slung stages and find a place and use for each.

99007.jpg

99009.jpg

99010.jpg

99011.jpg

99013.jpg

99031.jpg

99029.jpg

99033.jpg

Picture2005-6.jpg

I'd never seen that in such detail. Thanks, that's very interesting indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom