DAN data

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please list two.

Small, silty side mount passages in many caves.

Single person restrictions where it is impossible to turn around or even signal a buddy if in need. Especially no mount. Visibility diminishes to a point where a buddy would only slow the process. The buddy would be totally blind.

I think that a buddy of equal capability, operating with you, each of you as a part of a team, makes for a less risky situation regardless of the height of your card stack.

I agree with this totally. Having spent a large part of 2 years with a buddy who relied upon me way too much was a bad approach.

Small, silty side mount passages in many caves.

Single person restrictions where it is impossible to turn around or even signal a buddy if in need. Especially no mount. Visibility diminishes to a point where a buddy would only slow the process. The buddy would be totally blind.
That's a rather small and temporary situation, one that I'd liken to narrow sewer pipes, which are best handled with surface supplied gear and a good team.
I agree with this totally. Having spent a large part of 2 years with a buddy who relied upon me way too much was a bad approach.
That could make one sour, but over reaction could be equally bad.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been moved from the Solo Diving forum to the Advanced Scuba Discussions. The Solo Diving forum is for discussing the "how to" of solo diving, not its efficacy compared to buddy diving. That discussion belongs here in the Advanced arena, so, here 'tis.

I think that a buddy of equal capability, operating with you, each of you as a part of a team, makes for a less risky situation regardless of the height of your card stack.

I would tend to agree with this as well...I am just now getting back into diving after taking a little while off due to always seeming to dive with the wrong type of buddy. It took a very frightening experience that happened to me while cave diving to make me realize I need to make better choices in who I dive with. I believe being able to self rescue at any time is most important. I also believe that diving with a buddy who is equally as competent as you is very important as well. However, cards don't always equal competent! I think when we allow ourselves to dive with people who push us to take risks and do dives we are not ready to do gets a lot of people into trouble. I can speak from experience. I never realized how capable a diver I was until I got out from under the criticism of buddies who believed they were superior to me and always pushed me to do things I shouldn't have been doing. I now see how reckless this was, the things they were doing above their training, as well as encouraging me to do. For me, diving with people who cared more about bragging about their latest certification, or how they pushed the limits of their training or their bodies is of no interest. I have made much better choices in who I dive with, how I train, and what kinds of dives I now do. For the first time in years I am actually enjoying my diving and it is all because of the choices I have made in who I dive with! Diving as a true team with someone who respects you and your level of comfort as well as training does make for the safest diving possible.

This message is hidden because jeepchick is on your ignore list.

Nice try. Better luck next time.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom