Lionfish invasion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got the first one finished.

I made a material/design change that will help costs but the first one looks a bit down town. Works wonderfuly! I stabbed a 6 lb Asian carp at close range and got a complete blow through.

However At a slightly greater distance the barbs spread and I was able to hold the fish in the air easily with out it sliding off. Then sliding the push stick foreward it came right off and the barbs returned to their normal position.

Even at realy close range if the barbs go completely through a fish it will not be able to slide up the shaft to a dangerous proximity to the users hands.

Now to find testers that will use it on lionfish. Any takers?

I'd be happy to give it a go. I dive frequently in SoFla. Although I didn't see any lionfish today, another buddy team saw three.

I'm making a few more. Slight design change. PM me and we'll talk further.

Isn't that the truth, Mike! They are a regular spam factory.

I would like to test out your new device, I saw 5 lionfish today in my regular dive spot, each time I go I keep seeing more and more, they are not skittish either you can swim right next to them and they wont move , I pushed one today with my flashlight before it actualy budged. I dive in Puerto Rico, at the Escambron beach in San Juan

I realize the entrepreneur was last seen here early August and may have moved on to other interests, but if not, send me a PM and we can talk about giving your 'invention' a real-world beat down on lionfish here in Cozumel. I rarely finish a dive without taking out a few.. Yesterday, I pulled out 43, with many others being fed to eels, anemones, etc.. I own a foldspear, a number of travel spears with three prong heads, mini spear guns, etc.. My favorite right now is a Beuchat mini with the trident tip on it.. Depending on what I am doing (collecting, or killing and ditching), I'll go for barbed or barb-less tips.. We also have homemade (small) pvc spears with wires on the end for the smaller ones..

For the travel spear, this one is most popular on Cozumel right now:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=5_5TravelSling

I run a boat in S. Fl. and we see them all the time. we spotted 5 on one dive on Sunday but were unable to get them because of having students with us. we do have three different types of killing devices on board every trip and I have a small Mares gun that I carry. (when I get to dive) I do ask all my guides to carry something to kill them with on every dive except O.W. student dives. I would like to suggest using a set of shears to cut off their spines and their spinal cord (just behind the head) before you remove them from your spear. If you want to eat them they are VERY TASTY and are considered of sushi grade fish. Also there is no poison glands their venom is a bacteria on their spines that can also be removed with a torch. Hope to see everyone killing them in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom