Suunto Stinger Battery Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update. I will give Olaf a buzz to see if I can get that ordered from him. Since I have 2 stingers, it only makes sense to get the tool to do it yourself!!

Thanks again for the info!!

Have any of you DIY'ers any experience with changing the battery on the D4? Suunto recommends sending it to a service center for replacement but that takes time and costs quite a bit more than the kit which is available on E-bay for around $10 bucks or so.

Any advice or instructions would be much appreciated by all the D4 users out there.

Grouperman

Never done the D4 myself, only the stinger.

Sorry

I did purchase the complete kit from Olaf Kuhnhold. I agree he´s a little stiff by american e-business standards, but he did deliver to me the package in about 10 days. Seems to me he´s a very correct and serious person. Had to pay him by Paypal because he does not take credit cards.

I tried to buy the tools from someone in Germany two or three years back, might have been Olav, but although he replied once (so I know the email addresses were correct) he never responded to my purchase request. I re-sent it twice with no response, so then I gave up. Maybe I'll try him again.

A related question. Last year I had my Stinger battery replaced by a dealer in the UK, and got it back too late to dive with it there. When I got back here to Belize I found that it no longer autostarts, but I have to go through the menus once I'm in the water and before I descend. I often forget, and have learned that if you turn it on in dive mode after you've started descending that is the depth which it then regards as the surface.

When you replace the battery yourself, how can you ensure that it will autostart correctly?

Peterbj7:

If you are interested in purchasing the kit for changing yourself the Stinger battery, you can try writing to Olaf at the following address

olaf@kuehnhold.org

However, if you are going to DIY, I would suggest you to follow the instructions published elsewhere by another good samaritan in scubaboard. I followed them and my old Stinger came back to life showing no defects. To answer your question, after replacing the battery I do not remember pushing any "reset" button.

When you replace the battery yourself, how can you ensure that it will autostart correctly?
@peterbj7: The Stinger is very similar to my Mosquito.
You need to enter the "Settings" mode and then set it to "Air" (or "EAN" if that's your preference) and "ON." After making this adjustment, the dive computer will automatically enter dive mode as soon as you submerge.

Read the Stinger manual. Everything is spelled out fairly clearly. It's still available on the Aqualung site at:
http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/stinger_manual_en_27069.pdf

Hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom