Panasonic GF1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtbrider, any update? I'm eager to see what you can do with it as I'm considering sliding down that same slippery slope. I'll probably get the extender for the 45mm lens, too.

currently torn between the 7-14 & 8mm FE!

man if only these lenses are cheap… would love to hear any thoughts between the two.

thanks

Last edited:
currently torn between the 7-14 & 8mm FE!

man if only these lenses are cheap… would love to hear any thoughts between the two.

thanks

Very different lens.

Fisheye lens are very odd things... huge field of view, but with the center being much larger. Think of them this way ... the total field of view is 8mm (16mm equiv.), with the center sort of like a 28mm (or something close) and the edges being like a 8mm equiv(or something close), where the total average = that 16mm.

Have seen some lovely Fish Eye images, but it usually takes a very specific set of conditions.

It has a problem, if you do even the smallest cropping, as you will be cutting away most of the field of view.

If the underwater housing cannot cover the field of view completely, the value of the lens is almost gone.

The 7 -14 is a major unusual lens.. am very surprised it even exists. While not the widest equiv zoom, it is a very impressive.

In wide angle zooms, it and the tokina are most likely the best, and with Pany's electronic correction of distortion, I know of no other lens that offers a 14mm equiv image with as little distortion.

The Oly wide angle zoom ( 9 -18mm) is not quite as good a lens and does not cover as wide an angle, but it is much lower in cost and smaller in size. Assuming one can use it in the housing, it would be worth considering....

thanks puffer fish!

i have both the tokina 10-17 FE & 11-16 2.8 in nikon mount for topside and find myself using the UWA more due to the FE's "specialty" look… but have found myself actually liking underwater shots taken by the FE more (as i scour through flickr). so is it possible that the FE could be a better option for u/w use (8mm > 7-14)? or is it just a matter of taste?

as for the housing, i'm eying the gf1 10bar with the new acrylic FE dome port, again i ask, will this be good enough? any issues with acrylic vs glass? will i need a diopter?

pls. be patient as i am coming from a g11 oem setup and this is all too confusing for me :confused:

I should be able to compare the 8mm fisheye to the 7-14 while diving over the next week and will post my impressions when I get back.

mtbrider, any update? I'm eager to see what you can do with it as I'm considering sliding down that same slippery slope. I'll probably get the extender for the 45mm lens, too.

I haven't used it yet, and now it's storm season, but hopefully I'll get a dive in soon between the storms.

I failed at glueing the zoom ring, but it will be replaced under warranty. :)

The stock strap was a pain to thread after putting it in the housing so I replaced it with some adapt-its and a strap from op/tech. It's a better strap anyway and low-key styling too.

Brothers, I am going to purchase the 10bar GF1 housing, I am currently using a very simple base tray for my F200, please give me some advise on the base tray for the 10bar GF1.

mtbrider, looking forward to your photos, I am also considering to have on 45mm.

All of the Olympus & Panasonic micro 4/3rds lenses can be interchanged in all of the 10Bar housings. The ports are the same, but gears must be ordered differently. I can substitute as you like.

So the Oly 9-18 can be used instead of the Panny 7-14, etc. It is on sale for $100 off through the end of the month too!

I've found that my S-Tray is a good setup with this housing, as it is pretty wide. The S-Tray is adjustable in width.

I do have some GF-1 and GH-1s in stock.

Jack

I can't speak for the 45mm lens underwater, but I'm really impressed with it above ground.

I just got to spend a week comparing my new 8mm FE to the 7-14 lens, as well as using the 45mm macro for the first time. I really enjoyed using the 8mm FE although getting close enough to living subjects to make the most of the CFWA abilities of the fisheye was often challenging.

I really enjoyed the 8mm and often did not want to remove it from the housing. Except in situations where I would want the versatility of the 7-14 zoom, or I did not want to deal with the distortion of nearby man-made structures, I would have to say the 8mm is a lot of fun to use and to me, a great lens

I am not completely sure if I would want it to be my only wide lens, but on the other hand, I would not want to be without it now that I have used it. Not an inexpensive lens, but great fun, and both it and the dome for the Recsea housing are quite small and light which was nice.

I am not sure how well the 8mm works for over/under shots. The few I tried did not turn out well, but the sea was quite choppy everyday and I don't think anything would have worked in the conditions I had. I will have to experiment more with this in the future.

I don't really have any sharpness comparisons or test results per se; I am quite pleased with the results and as far as I can tell so far, the lens produces nice sharp results.

Back
Top Bottom