Highland Delrin Nuts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
delrinnutsS.jpg

Anyone ever use these instead of wing nutes to secure your backplate?

Any thoughts - good, bad, indifferent?

I haven't, but if they're as good as DSS's delrin thumbwheels, you'll be a happy man indeed (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=61) . I positively swear by them, which is a stark contrast to metal wingnuts (I positively swore AT them).

I use these and the DSS delrin thumbwheels, both are quality products and get the job done. I personally find the Highland nuts a little easier to grip, but ymmv on that one.

Greg

I too use the DSS thumbwheels. What I like about them is that I can get my fingers around them to turn them.

No more stinkin wingnuts. Is that why we call them wings.

I have a few pairs of them for various doubles. I bought these to keep the wing nut tips from rubbing on my drysuit because the canvas that covers the backplate it just under the wingnuts. I am afraid of turning them too tight and then I will strip the threads. I used them the other day and after the dive they were a bit loose. I think I will stick with the wingnuts for now. Besides you can get a pair of wingnuts for 50 cents and these are 10 bucks a set.

Last edited:
I'v used the DSS thumb wheels for a few years now. They don't have metal inserts. I don't have enough strength in my hands (I doubt I know anyone who has) to over tighten them to the point where the Delrin thread would be striped. After screwing them down as hard as I can, they have never come loose.

I like them. Quick, good grip, and secure.

One downside: price.

I went with the DSS nuts as well. Really like them - and no concerns about an insert coming loose (note: I have no idea if it would ...). The DSS nuts have held up to a year of doubles diving with no issues and no wear showing on the threads.

Just a data point,

Henrik

I have seen 2 of my buddies' delrin nuts break (I forget who made them). One on a set of doubles, one on an STA. Personally I think they are expensive and don't seem to solve any type of problem since wingnuts work fine for me. So I have no interest in trying them.

Back
Top Bottom