oceanic oc1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone.
I am thinking of investing in a new dive computer and have been looking at the oceanic oc1, has anyone got one of these and can tell me what they are like, or is there better alternatives out there. Thanks

I have one. They are a nice novelty, but for that kind of money, there are WAY BETTER COMPUTERS.

The Shearwater Predator is light years beyond the OC1 and roughly the same price. The base model is quite a bit cheaper than the OC1 and still WAY better.

A Cochran is better, and cheaper
A Liquidvision is better, and the same price
The New Atom 3.0 is very very similar and cheaper

If it were me, and I couldn't live without air integration, I'd buy the cheap Shearwater and find last years model of the Atom 2.0. and use it in Gauge Mode. Incidentally, you'd have air integration through the Atom, you'd have a very high end Shearwater capable of doing several gasses including helium and oxygen. You'd have some redundancy. You'll never outgrow the Shearwater. And you'd have both computers for what one OC1 costs.

If you are not hell bent on Air Integration, buy a single Shearwater Predator, doesn't matter which one you buy, every one of them are light years beyond the OC1 and they are the best computer on the market.

BTW - I am an Oceanic, Cochran, and Shearwater dealer

It is a high end rec computer. The price buys more style points than substance as it is in competition with pretty much every computer made. It is essentially an Atom with a compass and some other niceties. If you have the cash and want it, go for it. However if you are looking for value or a computer that will do more advanced mixes, this isn't a good choice. If you don't mind a console, the new Atomic Cobalt computer has essentially the features (minus multi-algorithm), much better display and far easier to use at least so goes the pre-release reports for 40% less. It will also likely be this seasons rec computer that gets the most diver envy.

Shearwater is ridiculously powerful and a computer a diver is likely to never out-grow but not my first choice if all I was ever going to do was rec dive. The Uemis Zurich looks good but has some flaws for its big price.

Hi,

I have recently bought Oceanic's new OC1 Pioneer. I have to say i have been very impressed with the performance of it. Its menus are very easy to use and couple this with the ability to go 'back' to previous menus is a long awaited feature. I, like many other top end computer hunters did look at Suunto D9 and the Uwatec Galileo Sol. Although the galileo is a great feature rich computer the size pushed me to a wrist watch style. The Suunto D9 is probably seen still as the benchmark for wristwatch style computers with a hefty price tag too. These are like the BMW 3 series, everyone has one!!! I wanted something different and certainly got it.

The thing i really like about Oceanic is their quality of customer service, and now i am on to my 3rd computer with them. What sets the actual computer apart is it is not a D9. People do notice it and are suprised about the quality of the information displayed, no to mention it is a new design. As an instructor i use it religiously on every dive, it give me all the information i need for any given dive. The options you get to tailor make settings to your profile are up there up there with the best. I cannot see any other computer which has other features not currently included in this model.

Good luck with your hunt!!!

I have an OC1 and I really like it. The only problem I have with it is since the battery was replaced (at the factory) I cannot get a tank reading except via water activation. I turn water activation off and it won't give me a reading. I do have a separate tank gauge that I use to check pressure before hooking up the regulator. I really like not having hoses all over since I'm a new diver, but may soon add an SPG for safety.

I've been diving my OC1 for over a year now, with over 100 dives on it (both Deco & non). It's my 3rd Oceanic computer and I've been happy with it.

Ease of use: WAY better than my old Geo, which I still dive as a backup. Significantly easier menu navigation than many other computers. Small enough to wear as a watch. Easy to adjust nitrox mixes up AND down: you don't have to scroll all the way around to go from 36 to 32%, for example.

Being able to choose from 2 algorithms seems to make a lot of sense as this is a "dual personality" computer that is designed to be able to flip-flop between rec & tec. If this is the kind of diving you do, there aren't many competitors out there. You need to be out of the water for 24 hours to go back and forth (for many good reasons).

I do use a spg as backup but the air integration has never hiccuped. Gas switching is easy, allows you to set up 2 additional xponders, and easy to execute underwater. Additional xponders do add considerably to the purchase price.

The Oceanlog software has improved immensely in recent years and is easy to use, including recognizing the watch connection. Some Oceanlog data entry is not always intuitive. Doing firmware revisions online is a huge plus. I've installed 2 firmware revisions myself online; both went witout a hitch.

For the type of diving I do (80-90% rec) it is a good choice for me. If you don't ever dive multiple mixes or over 50% mixes, you don't need to spend this much. If you plan to do mainly tec profiles, it's probably not a good choice but if you want the option to go back & forth, go for it.

......have been looking at the oceanic oc1, has anyone got one of these and can tell me what they are like......

I have 2; the standard OC1 and the OC1-LE Pioneer :wink:

If you get the LE Pioneer it comes in a nice box and a free online class.

You've probably made your choice already but in case you haven't, I'll give you my opinion shortly...

Atom 3.0 never materialized, Cobalt is still in release date limbo, so I bit the bullet and went OC1. We'll find out if that was the right move, but I needed something by the end of the month.

I would look at the D9 I think you will like the compass function better and that you can replay your dive on the watch itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom