car keys + shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally learned that I could go to the local hardware store and have a simple metal key (what people might call a Valet key) made which will lock/unlock the driver's door. I've tied it to a bolt snap and it goes into my drysuit pocket (or I could clip it off on a D-ring on the BC). My precious electronic key stays in the car.

This cost about $3 for a wonderful fix -- it also took me a long time to find out I could get a simple metal key to lock/unlock the door!

I don't need a valet key for my vehicle, so I pull a shoe string through the key and tie it around my neck. The key goes under my skin and/or wetsuit and it is there when I need it. I leave a 2 liter bottle of water under the rear wheel of my car and use it to rinse off the key before I use it after I surface. My key has never rusted, it's either brass or stainless, likely stainless steel.

Get a hide-a-key and leave it on the car. I have left my keys in my truck and taken them with me, it depends on what the crowd around the dive site looks like.

My valet key (non-electronic) goes in the pocket of my BC. My full key suit is locked in the car somewhere. This is all freshwater. Haven't taken my key into salt water.

it never comes with me.. the key always stays dry on the vehicle, jut not necessarily in the vehicle. If I told you where on the car it was I'd have to kill you :wink:

Mine goes in the key pocket on my wet suit. Never had a problem with rust. Of course that could be because most of the time I Kayak dive & then it stays on the yak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom