Cold water first stage and second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

master00sniper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking at the HOG D1 regulator as my first reg.

HOG Gear D1 Regulator Set - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I'm on a bit of a budget, and from what I've read these are awesome regulators to get. The water I dive in is usually just above 50 degrees, which from what i've heard technically still classifies as warm water, but I want to get a good reg for cold water because I'm sure i'll use it in the future.

The HOG reg has an option to get the first stage environmentally sealed so it will work with cold water. At only 10 dollars more and considering how close I am to diving in 'cold water' I figure the choice is a no brainer. My question is, what about the second stage? does the second stage need to be designed for cold water? Are HOG regs already awesome at diving cold water in the first place?

I'm looking at the HOG D1 regulator as my first reg.

The water I dive in is usually just above 50 degrees, which from what i've heard technically still classifies as warm water, but I want to get a good reg for cold water because I'm sure i'll use it in the future.
Try again on the water temps here. 46 degree is not uncommon and it can get a couple of degrees cooler even. That definitely classifies as cold water diving, so get the cold water reg set. Also get two of the second stages so your octo, or many peoples preference of using a bungee backup will be the same as your primary (Like what you saw Kristina using).

FWIW I got a set for my significant other, and highly value her life.

Good to see you getting all your own gear so your diving will be more consistent.

Peter, I wasn't wrong about water temps. Most of my diving I do is in freshwater lakes, and the time of year and depth that I dive usually the water is at least 55 degrees. I know Monterey can get down lower than 50 degrees, and I mentioned in the future I'm sure I'll be doing cold water dives.

So the second stage doesn't need to be designed for cold water as well? I only ask because I was talking in the chat with someone and they brought it up. To my knowledge, its only the first stage that needs to be designed for cold water and if its a well made second stage than it will work fine, but I'm still new so I figured i'd ask here just to make sure.

Well you got me on the lakes. I forgot people sometimes dive those things around here :idk: Of course Tahoe gets well below 40 degrees.

The second stage HOG regs are the same for warm or cold water it is only the first stage that has the cold water option.

Well you got me on the lakes. I forgot people sometimes dive those things around here :idk: Of course Tahoe gets well below 40 degrees.

The second stage HOG regs are the same for warm or cold water it is only the first stage that has the cold water option.

I enjoy fresh water lakes almost as much as the ocean. There are pros and cons for each. Generally in lakes if you get cold you came come up to the surface and heat up real fast because the water is warmer. I've also seen some pretty cool fish in lakes, and camanche has a graveyard as well as a town sunken underneath it (which we've discussed). There are interesting things to look at it lakes, not to mention its about 1/3rd the drive. Don't be bashing fresh water diving :wink:

I'm glad to hear that NetDoc, has anyone dove colder with HOG regs? 45 degrees? I'll get to water that cold at some point.

Yes, and I've already been talking with the seller. Asking price is 200 shipped for first and second stage. Thats not too much less than brand new ones.

Except you need all three regulators, not just two. He should be making you a killer deal as they are used. That is his asking price and shipping should be combined.

For instance I bought the ones I got, of which one second stage was new and they all were in near perfect shape, for $265 shipped. Since these are more used the deal should be even better.

"New HOG balanced adjustable. Never been wet. In the box. $80"
From The Deco Stop
That should give you an idea of a starting price.

There was a short term promo when they were selling the HOG 1st stages for $100 and the 2nd stages for $50 to get the name out there.

If not contact Dive Right In Scuba and purchase a complete set brand new. They are not very expensive brand new!

For cold water, I'd suggest an environmentally sealed first stage. Make sure it has adequate surface area in contact with water to dissipate heat.

Apex Regs have a long history of being good in cold water.
ScubaPro MK17 is good (I have personal experience with this at 34 degrees).
Poseidon regs have long been used for cold water, so you should evaluate those. However the 2nd stage is in need of an update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom