Dive Report: Va Beach - Kurn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
We had a great Columbus Day off Va Beach diving the Kurn. Located in the SE corner of the Triangle Artificial Reef (35nm off the coast), the Kurn was sunk as part of Virginia's reefing project. Kurn's broken in two pieces with the largest being the bow section resting inverted. You'll find lots of Sea Bass (now, out of season in VA waters until 1 Nov) along the hull and in some of the washouts. The washouts are also a good place to find Founder. Aft of the bow break there's large pile of wire cable bundles and hull plates (good place for lobsters). The stern section remains upright about 120ft away almost directly behind the bow section. The stern is another good place to find the fish, it's large, has high relief, and lots of cover for the fish. While we were down a moderate school of large Amberjack Tuna (AJ) were darting around the wreck. They're fearless and will swim close by a diver (attracted by the bubbles) during the dive. If you're a novice using a speargun please respect the power these fish have. If you shoot one one of these monsters thinking it's a tuna steak dinner, well, it's not the kind of tuna you get at the seafood counter. AJ's are called "Wreck Donkeys" by the fishermen and for good reason. If you spear one, it may cost your speargun as it races away with the fish, you might get dragged off the wreck, or worse. Practice at home by tying your speartip to the bumper of the car and having your buddy drag you around the block (only kidding, but you get the idea) :no:

The diving was great but not without some drama during the day. We hooked into the bow section just forward of the break. Andy (Drewski) was good enough to tie us in AND run a reel back to the stern section for other divers to follow. Visibility was 30feet and the temp on the bottom 62 deg. There was a bit of current sweeping right down the bow toward the stern. Andy, Ted (TnTdive), and Radny (Randy g) hit the water around 0945 for their first dives. There was no real surface current and light winds.

Kevin (Kevin K), Mike, and I jumped in after the others were safely on the boat. Mike and I explored the bow section. Found a couple of "Ghost trap" (abandoned Sea Bass traps catch on the wreck with no lines attached. We cut open the sides to release the trapped fish. Of course we hand caught the 19in Tautaug and placed her in the bag. Picked up the two lobsters but released the egg-bearing female (largest bug of the day). I spent 45 minutes in the water, max depth of 107ft, and dove with 35% NITROX.

Our second dive we planned a number of tasks...famous words for doing too much. We explored the stern, and took care of another Ghost trap with a very large Tautaug but it got away from us. The lobsters didn't :D
We had a swim against the current to the bow, a reel to retrieve, and the anchor to free. About the time Mike & I got back to the anchor line, Kevin joined up with us after his dive on the Bow (Kevin & I were diving doubles) we had the anchor just about free and my air supply was just about as low as I wanted to go. I sent my dive buddy up the anchor line and signaled Kevin I was getting low on air. He was quick with his second hose and he & I were on our way up (Thanks Brother!). We all did our safety/deco stops and back on the boat to band the lobters and retrieve the anchor. Total time in the water 39 min & max depth 104fsw.

But, wait, there's MORE! There's always more when the day goes so well. We hooked an active Sea Bass trap string as we drifted off the wreck. We ended up sending Ted over the side to clear the snag and was back on the surface in no time. Three Dives for Ted, lobsters and Taug!

The weather was absolutely beautiful! The outbound trip was slowed a bit by the wave direction and took about 2hrs. Coming back however, it was all about how fast we could run. 1 hour 10 minutes later, we were back in Little Creek inlet.

New for Freedom was the hardtop over the back and some stainless handholds on the stern. I think both were welcome additions. I was also happy to have such a great bunch of divers.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Sounds good Will, Andy called me to rub it in that he was going diving while I was going to work. What a pal. I guess he forgot that I am the 1 who told him that you were trying to get a trip together & he needed to call you. That's just how he is. LOL

After 5 dives in 2 days with 2 being on the Ocean Venture, & a night dive on the Morgan, I don't think I would feel too bad having to work Monday.

Bobby,

I saw your post, looks like you guys had a great time on OV.

It was almost as nice offshore on Monday but I heard Sunday was the best day this year. Now if we could only have more weekends like the last. We didn't go to the Morgan, I figured lobsters might be scarce after your night dive. The Kurn was good for two dives. MUCH better vis than the last time we dove it.

Safe Diving,
Will

I will attest that the hard top and handles were awesome. Very easy to get in the boat and that canopy kept the sun from cooking us and provides a few more handholds.

It was a great day of diving and I will always try to find a way to get an extra dive in (a short 3rd dive), no opportunity to small!

I recently picked up a used Sea & Sea. I have posted some of the better pictures in my gallery (ScubaBoard Gallery - Kurn Wreck 100ft. deep Ocean tug 250 ft. long). Do not expect much, it is only my second time using the setup and I still have a lot to learn. But it was fun taking the pictures and then once they were downloaded trying to remember what the heck I took the picture of! :idk:

Once again another great dive trip with great divers and friends.

Thanks,
Ted

Oh, the lobster and Taug were AWESOME. That went over so well that my beautiful bride asked me, "So, when are you going diving again?"

It was another great trip on Freedom with Will! I had a some more first on this trip with Will. First time on the Kurn, first time spearing and first time with nice smooth conditions off VB. :cool2:

The first dive I really should have stopped to relax when I first hit the anchor but being the knuckle head that I am I hovered about 10ft above Andy who was tieing in and Ted who was next to him and 15 ft above and in front of us were a big school of AJ circling us. I have never seen so many big fish in one place, it was awe inspiring. I watched for a minute, tapped Ted on the shoulder to show him and it was off to the fish market. The current was pretty good and I stayed on the port side of the inverted wreck, huffing and puffing my way up and back looking for the right fish to get. They say time flies when your having fun and the next thing I know is I am under my minimum pressure, I see Andy and Ted heading up the line and I decided it was a good time to do the same. First dive was 46 minutes with 105 bottom and 63 degrees according to my computer.

Second dive I opted to stay on the back of the wreck and the lee, starboard side and it was a much more relaxing dive. I saw an Atlantic Angel Shark that was about 5 ft long buried in the sand under Andys wreck line, 2 big conger eels and while spending time on the top (boat bottom) of the wreck the AJ started circling within 7-8 ft of me. I could literally touch them with the JBL 6.5' pole spear that Will had found and generously given to me. There were so many AJ in the school circling I got vertigo for a second until I looked farther and focused on the anchor line, I thought for a second or two that I could stone one but my senses came back and I thought WTF are you thinking Randy??? :D Then they all disappeared suddenly and I knew something or someone was near. Ted had swam up to the top of the wreck near me!
Bottom time was 50 minutes with rock bottom of 107, I spent a while hanging on the line watching all the mid water copipods (sp), shrimp, and jellies swim by while I off gassed. I got cold about 30 minutes into the dive and after diving with a boat load of drysuit divers, all nice and warm, I see a dry suit in my future!

Thanks for the report and the pictures guys. It looks like a good time was had by all.

Randy,

"Stoning" an AJ with a pole spear....your adventure would be one for the record books, something that would surely eclipse any motorcycle racing event you fondly remember, I am quite certain. From the boat perspective you might be remembered this way...

As you speed away, towed by a pissed off AJ at 40 knots...

Kevin K: "Holy Cow, you see that! It's a torpedo in the water!"

TnTdive: "No, it's no torpedo wake, it's Randy! He must've latched on to that AJ with his pole spear!"

Drewski: "Man!, look at him go! Haven't seen an AJ go that fast before!"

Kevin K: "Whoa!, here he comes again! Everyone take cover!"

TnTdive: "Lemme get an underwater shot with my new camera, no-one's gonna believe this!

Wil: "I just hope he let's go before he hits the boat or reaches Nova Scotia..."

Drewski: "WOW! That AJ sure is pissed, hasn't slowed down yet. Should we gaff Randy as he comes by again?!"

Wil: "No way, he's moving too fast, might lose the gaff. Better send TnTdive in after him. If anyone can cut him free, it's TnTdive."

TnTdive: "Forget that! I've seen Moby Dick, I'm not ending up like Cap'n Ahab!"

So, Randy...I mean Ahab,...next time you're on the boat we're putting a rubber protective tip on your pole spear. No harpoons for you, my friend.

Safe Spearing...
Wil

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom