PADI vs SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello All,
I'm about to sign up for an open water course with a local dive shop. Based on the dive shop's affiliation, I hope to obtain an SSI Open Water certification. Is this equivalent to a PADI open water course. Would not having a PADI certification inhibit my chances of diving anywhere in the world?

Based on some web search, it seems like the certifications are interchangeable - i.e, if a dive school accepts PADI open water, you could signup with an SSI open water. Wanted to double-check with the experts :)

Finally, would you recommend PADI against SSI or vice-versa?

Thanks in advance. These forums are a god-send :)

Any OW certification will work. Some are more comprehensive than others. There are differences in agency standards and in instructors. Whatever course you choose you should read this before putting any money down:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html

And then this as this is what the class should give you a sense of:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html

Don't accept anything less than a class that will at the end, guarantee that you will be able to plan, execute, and come back from a dive with a buddy of equal skill and training in conditions similar to what you do your checkout dives in or better. And without an instructor in the water. If they cannot guarantee that then find another class.

If you are comfortable with your local dive shop, and you like the instructors, go with what they offer. Both PADI (I'm a PADI instructor), and SSI offer excellent entry level dive training. If, and hopefully when, you decide to advance your training, both organizations offer a good path towards your goals. Get started! Continue to dive as much as possible when you complete your OW training. See where diving takes you.

Short answer: choose SSI.

One man's opinion based on experience. No flames please. We've all been through the arguments before. :)

I'm limited in my local options, as I live in a desert. I went with SDI. Never had an issue of DOs questioning my cert.

Most say it's instructor vs instructor.....not agency vs agency........

ie , look for a good instructor more than a good agency...............

I totally agree with comparing the instructors rather than the agency. Which instructor can you learn more from? At the end of the day, a PADI OW card will get you in just as many places as an SSI OW card.

Hello All,
I'm about to sign up for an open water course with a local dive shop. Based on the dive shop's affiliation, I hope to obtain an SSI Open Water certification. Is this equivalent to a PADI open water course. Would not having a PADI certification inhibit my chances of diving anywhere in the world?

Based on some web search, it seems like the certifications are interchangeable - i.e, if a dive school accepts PADI open water, you could signup with an SSI open water. Wanted to double-check with the experts :)

Finally, would you recommend PADI against SSI or vice-versa?

Thanks in advance. These forums are a god-send :)

Yes the courses by PADI and SSI are "interchangeable" so when you continue on and do further, more advanced courses, you can skip between agencies if you like.

Some dive shops may tell you that one is more recognised than the other - in the effort to sell the course they're offering. That is not true. One agency or cert may be bigger or more common in a certain part of the world but both at open water/entry level are equally recognised and should not inhibit your chances of diving.

There are very little differences between the two agencies until you get to the professional levels.

My recommendation is to go with the course available to you with the best instructors and best resources.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom