Advice for Cozumel, Mexico Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikecotrone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if those out there that have had experience diving in Cozumel used a skin suit or a thin wet suit? I am going Nov 15 on a cruise and I am lining up 4 dives while at port. I am bringing most of my gear since the thought or relying on used gear kind of makes me nervous (BC, 1st/2nd stage, mask, fins).

Thanks

I was wondering if those out there that have had experience diving in Cozumel used a skin suit or a thin wet suit? I am going Nov 15 on a cruise and I am lining up 4 dives while at port. I am bringing most of my gear since the thought or relying on used gear kind of makes me nervous (BC, 1st/2nd stage, mask, fins).

Thanks

In my trips there, I have never used anything more than a pr of skins under a 2mm shortie &/or 2 mm vested hood......Have dived there June, October, November, March & April.......

EDIT:..lugged my 3 mm to Fiji 2 weeks ago for nothing---ie never used it, water temps ran 79 & 80 degrees(that's possibly the coldest it'll be there then), did 3 dives a day for 6 days of diving......Guess my 'blubber' helped a little, lol......

Last edited:
Four dives in a day at that time of year for me would mean a 3 mil full suit. Everyone's different, though. In the summer, when water temps are in the low 80s and the air is warmer, I use a skin or shorty, but I'm usually doing two, sometimes three dives a day.

Four hours underwater is a lot of body heat loss for one day, even in 80F water.

I used a 3 mil suit, and I was okay in the water, but shivered violently on the boat once the wind hit me. But I'm not a real good metric, because I get cold easily.

On the other hand, we had a member of our party whose dive gear was lost for two days by the airline. He dove in a pair of swim trunks, but he got cold.

I used a 3 mil suit, and I was okay in the water, but shivered violently on the boat once the wind hit me. But I'm not a real good metric, because I get cold easily.

On the other hand, we had a member of our party whose dive gear was lost for two days by the airline. He dove in a pair of swim trunks, but he got cold.

I am a pretty warm when others i am diving with are cold. I was at 53 degrees (i wasnt cold) last weekend at 55 feet in our quarry with a hood, gloves, and a 5 mm wet suit. I would think a 3 mm would be good then?

Thanks again for all of your replies.

I wear a 3/2 full suit and find it quite comfy for a long day of diving.
For a single dive, just a pair of shorts would do.

I use a 2mm shorty when diving south Florida, the Keys and Coz. Probably don't need it in 80 degree plus water but I dive with a backplate and horsecollar a lot of times and it keeps me from getting rubbed up from the harness.

Tolerance to cold will depend greatly from individual to individual so it's best to find out what the actual water temp will be and dress accordingly.

When I was diving in Cozumel (water was around 25 C). I wore a 3mm full suit on my first day and was so cold that I went out and got myself a hood that evening. There were those on the boat who were fine and warm in their shorties and lycra skins.

You can get cold between dives if you're on a windy boat. Take a windbreaker and wear it on top of your suit. It helps a great deal.

It does vary from person to person. I always wear a 3 mil jumpsuit year round in South Fl.

We just returned from Coz 2 weeks ago, water temps were 83 everyday. Half of our group wore swim trunks and t-shirts, some full wetsuits and others skins. Whatever makes you comfy. However, I suggest wearing a wetsuit when diving the C-53, since there is a chance you'll get barnacled or reef rash if you accidentally rub against the hull.

Sounds like a 3 mil would be perfect for you. I'm surprised that you'll be able to get in 4 dives in Coz from a cruise ship though.

Back
Top Bottom