Sisal Rope question for an upline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangguy327

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
From what I gather 1/4" rope is the best size, but I cannot find anywhere that sells longer than 100'. Do you guys tie it together to get longer lengths? That sounds like a problem waiting to happen though...

Rope Splicing - eHow.com

for three stranded rope. the connection tightens on itself as it's weighted, very strong. unravel a few inches from each end, stick them together, weave in the ends on the left side, then weave in the ends on the right side. a boy scout can show you. is sisal really your best option for a marine application?

That sounds like a problem waiting to happen though...

I found some at the local mom and pop hardware store in town, they had large spools of it. But while spooling it on to the up line reel I did see a splice in it, so you may end up with a splice anyway.

sisal really your best option for a marine application?

Sisal is used so it will deteriorate fairly quickly when left on a wreck. An up line is designed to be used once, you tie onto the wreck ascend and cut the rope when you get to the surface and are being picked up by the boat. It is something you hopefully never need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom