Best computer for night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formula1mb@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Recently I've been looking at all the new dive computers coming out and started wondering if/when I buy a new one, which one would be best for night diving specifically?

Right now, I would say a majority of my dives are at night and so it's always been a concern about having to deal with a light failure. Lights are one of the most failure prone pieces of equipment and figure it's only a matter of time so I would love to have a computer that I can always read, with or without a light and also one that I can always glance at for information without having to activate the backlight or shine my light on. Not only would it be convenient but also a nice safety margin to be able to always see your information at a glance.

So far from looking, I've found the following models that are always readable and 'on' without having to turn on the backlight constantly:

1) Uemis SDA, $1200 ($1700 with transmitter)
2) Shearwater Predator ($1100-$1800 depending on model)
3) Mares Icon HD ($700 plus ~$450? later for air integration) I believe the backlight is always on, correct me if I'm wrong
4) Atomic Cobalt, coming soon ($1200)
5) OTSC MK.2 and DR 5

Any other good ones out there I'm missing? Pro's/con's? Price?

Also if anyone has the above, is it much better for night diving being able to always see the screen or not that big a deal in practice?

Add Liquivision X1 $1399.

Also, some low end computers such as the Mares M1 RGBM used to allow you to have the backlight 'always on'. I'm not sure if any of them still do.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products Inc.

Uemis SDA / Liquidvision X1 / Shearwater Predator / Mare Icon HD / Oceanic DataMask. But really depends on what your looking for all the above stay lit without having to hit a Glo button and can easily be seen.

I have Dove the Uemis SDA and it is an awesome Computer, Very bright and easy to use and set-up. It has great features and functions. Out of the wrist computers I like the Uemis SDA the most. For me I like the Air Integration Which the Liquidvision/Sheawater doesn't have but heard the Liquid vision is coming out with. same for the Mares.

I have the DataMask and love it. info is always right there in front of you and you can see it no matter how dark or no viz. How ever I dont think its as functional as the ones above and not as feature rich.

Last edited:
Add Liquivision X1 $1399.

+1 - I even need to turn the brightness setting to 'low' for night or cave dives as it's so bright.....

Not to mention having an X1 gives you the best technical computer out there right now!

Both the Galileo Luna an SOL have a user programable backlight and have a nice big screen.

Or you could just buy a $800 canister light, and a $300 computer and have really good night dives for the same money!

I'd also suggest a Mares M1 or M2 because it uses standard alkiline Batteries, a sealed battery compartment with a easy open cap that makes replacing the battery take seconds. By using this method they were able to allow the user to set the backlighting to constant on during the dive. Perfect for easy viewing during your night dives.

It would be nice to have a bright LED computer for over a grand, but I use an inexpensive Vyper on my right wrist, and a small light like the Dorcy on Oxycheq Goodman strap on the left wrist.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom