scuba diving camera helppppp!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrea r

New
Reaction score
I'm doing a questionnaire for a product design a level and would like to know opinions from people who are experienced with scuba diving so it would be really helpful if you could answer some questions.

I am designing an underwater camera for scuba diving and need to know what features would be best to have, also what doesnt work with the products that are already made for taking pictures underwater already.

1. Gender?
2. Age?
3. Any past experiences with scuba diving and photography underwater?
4. Where would the best place for the camera to be attached to?
5. Will a flash effect the picture quality or sound scare away any wildlife?
6. What improvements would you make on the camera's you already have? and what are the problems you may have had?
7. how deep do you usually dive underwater and does the camera work at that depth?
8. When the camera is attached to you can you change the settings on it while diving?
9. What shape and size and colour would your idel camera be?
10. What special features would your idel camera have? e.g. capture things while moving
11. how long does the minimum battery life need to last?
12. what is the minimum memory you would desire?
13. how many mega pixels is needed?
14. any other comments/feedback would be really helpful if it doesnt fit into any of the questions i'v asked .........

THANK YOU

1. M
2. 31
3. Limited - fixed-focus-fixed shutter cheapo only so far.
4. Either with a bolt snap to the right shoulder or to the wrist. Neutrally buoyant is nice.
5. Want Flash. Want Flash away from optical axis. Nikon Creative Lighting system or Olympus' remote system, so I can put the flash for best light.
6. The UW cam I have needs replacing with something serious. My above-water cam needs more lenses (wide angle and fast), and I need to work on lighting (remote flashes). And a waterproof case.
7. 40-45 meters. The camera needs to work at that depth. My current cam doesn't.
8. If I can't change the settings, I am not buying it.
9. I need to hold it with one hand and I do not want reflections from shiny surfaces.
10. High ISO/Low Noise. Good wide angle (<24mm on regular film) and/or swapping lenses. If replaceable lenses a good, selection between fast and cheap (think Zuiko Top Pro and Zuiko Kit for Olympus). Movie mode in Full HD would be cool, but it's nice to have, not a must.
11. Battery life... I want to put a new battery in for the next ~1hr dive.
12. CF *and* SDHC. With a USB2 port with a standard plug. Needs to identify as a regular USB storage media. :D
13. Somewhere between 5 and 10. Low noise and good optics help more, but unfortunately aren't as easily sellable.
14. Check out photo sites such as KenRockwell.com or Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ for photography related stuff. The ZukioM stuff (Oly EP1/Pana G1) has some cool ideas.
Give me an affordable camera with a 10mp 4/3 sensor that can go to 40 meters and has a wide angle, a normal zoom and a macro available, as well as good high ISO/low noise, and I will be severely tempted to take up UW photo. I don't at the moment due to the expense, but I'm saving up...

Gerbs

1.female
3.yes
4.possibly on a retractable clip than can be attached to a D-ring on a BCD also maybe a wrist strap.
5.flash could have an optional button depending on what you are taking pictures of
6.dont own a proper dive camera
7.dive to around 20 M at the moment
9.size smallish but the buttons big enough to be used with thick gloves and colour maybe illuminous pink or yellow etc makes it more visible at depth if dropped
10. big buttons

Yeah, right.

1. Gender? M
2. Age? probably older than some, younger than others
3. Any past experiences with scuba diving and photography underwater? Yep.
4. Where would the best place for the camera to be attached to? My hands.
5. Will a flash effect the picture quality or sound scare away any wildlife? Huh, no, I need two strobes.
6. What improvements would you make on the camera's you already have? and what are the problems you may have had? Larger sensor, built in ultra wide fisheye lens 180 DFOV, full manual control including focus via knobs and rings, no buttons or menus.
7. how deep do you usually dive underwater and does the camera work at that depth? 200+
8. When the camera is attached to you can you change the settings on it while diving? If I cannot I don't own it.
9. What shape and size and color would your ideal camera be? A digital Nikonos III with full manual control.
10. What special features would your idel camera have? e.g. capture things while moving. Full manual control, no buttons, no menus.
11. how long does the minimum battery life need to last? four full dives with flash on each shot
12. what is the minimum memory you would desire? SD card
13. how many mega pixels is needed? APS or full frame sensor and 10 to 20 MP.
14. any other comments/feedback would be really helpful if it doesn't fit into any of the questions i'v asked ......... Full manual control, full manual control of focus, exposure, f stop, shutter via knobs, no buttons, no menus, instant on, and when the shutter is pushed I want the camera to take the picture---NOW!

N

Simple take any of the top 3 Canon or Nikon DSLRs and make them waterproof. Must have a heavy duty base a tray could be attached for strobes and video lights/battery pods.

Simple take any of the top 3 Canon or Nikon DSLRs and make them waterproof. Must have a heavy duty base a tray could be attached for strobes and video lights/battery pods.

I would go more for something like the Fuji X100, only waterproof. That camera has the simple controls I want underwater (one dial for shutterspeed, one dial for aperture, one dial for exposure compensation). Of course, I would add options to the 35mm lens, specifically a 15mm fisheye or a 100mm macro.

I don't like navigating through menus underwater, and I don't like the "spin the dial and look at the LCD screen" interface of many of the top SLRs.

1. Gender?
Male
2. Age?
3. Any past experiences with scuba diving and photography underwater?
YES
4. Where would the best place for the camera to be attached to?
DPV Dring on crotch strap, perhaps on a retractable clip
5. Will a flash effect the picture quality or sound scare away any wildlife?
Positive effect
6. What improvements would you make on the camera's you already have? and what are the problems you may have had?
Quicker response time on p&S, Cheaper options for DSLR, Buttons are sometimes to close especially with gloves on
7. how deep do you usually dive underwater and does the camera work at that depth?
20-80' - Works great at those depths
8. When the camera is attached to you can you change the settings on it while diving?
Constantly
9. What shape and size and colour would your ideal camera be?
P&S should be manageable to use with one hand and adjust with two. dSLR's will always need two hands, size is dependent on lens.
10. What special features would your ideal camera have? e.g. capture things while moving
RAW, ISO 50-25600, 720P or higher video, Color correction based on depth, cases should allow for extended battery packs on dSLR's
11. how long does the minimum battery life need to last?
4 hours minimum
12. what is the minimum memory you would desire?
8GB's
13. how many mega pixels is needed?
Mega pixels are a myth, Megapixels dictate how large you can print an image, not the quality of the image. But for this particular question I would recommend 10+
14. any other comments/feedback would be really helpful if it doesnt fit into any of the questions i'v asked
I'd Like full Manual control

1. Gender M
2. Age Older than Nemrod
3. Any past experiences with scuba diving and photography underwater? Yes, from the 70's till now
4. Where would the best place for the camera to be attached to? shoulder D ring
5. Will a flash effect the picture quality or sound scare away any wildlife? Lights, yes, strobes, not very much.
6. What improvements would you make on the camera's you already have? and what are the problems you may have had? Way to much to put in a post
7. how deep do you usually dive underwater and does the camera work at that depth?80 ft, with every so often dives to 130 or so. Yes
8. When the camera is attached to you can you change the settings on it while diving? Yes
9. What shape and size and colour would your idel camera be? Shape - as small as posslble, hand holding size. Color - don't care, but black is nice to not scare fish
10. What special features would your idel camera have? e.g. capture things while moving It shoots raw (white balance adj on surface, it can do macro.. really, really close. It has a zoom lens, and the widest it goes is at least 25mm
11. how long does the minimum battery life need to last? At Least 300 images with flash
12. what is the minimum memory you would desire? depends on image size, but enought to hold the 300 images
13. how many mega pixels is needed? Image quality over just lots of pixels, but at least 10meg.. and hopefully 12
14. any other comments/feedback would be really helpful if it doesnt fit into any of the questions i'v asked .........As a camera, the new Pany LX5 is almost perfect... but Panasonic does not now and does not plan on making a housing for it

4. Lower D-ring or cumberbund.
10. Usable by left handed folks. Ability to zoom in-out-etc. w/out having to use 2 hands (often need one hand to stabilize the body ... should be able to zoom and shoot w/ one hand). Put the most-used controls not to close together (carpal tunnel cramps) Finally - A stealth camera ... countershade it like a shark. (I expect 10% royalties for that brilliant idea!)
14. End all weight restrictions to remote islands!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom