Who does NOT log their dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log my dives for weight/bouancy information and air consumption, but I am most interested in my bottom time (I think its only about 40 hrs).

Now, what I really want is a good program for my palm pilot to log my dives on. That would be really cool. :cool:

brandon

I log all dives (but not pool) but for a different reason from what I have seen so far: Just in case I, or worse yet someone else, need to give information about my dives to the doctor.

This months (Feb 02) DAN Alert Diver magazine has a story of a woman with cerbral DCI. Her symptoms included feeling fuzzy and could not remember things. She of course never logged anything, or use dive tables or a computer.

Just in case I should be in a medical difficulty, and unable to speak for myself (DCI sysptoms can include paralysis) or am fuzzy on my memory, my dive log will be there to give them some idea of when, where, how deep, how long, how often and with whom I was diving. That could be important to my medical treatment.

Of course, maybe someday Iwill want to go for some other certification, I will have them logged.

Just my 2 cents.

There seems to be so much to do after the dive, and if I don't log right away, the information seems usless. Also, looking back at my dive log, I can barely read my notes.

I guess my decision was made because I did not find the information that useful. And there is gear to clean, boat to clean, clothes to wash, cameras to deal with. By the time everything else is done, I'm wiped out and forget to log.

It is, of course, easier when you are traveling to log dives. All the clean up stuff is not as time intensive.

Got to admit it - I only log dives for DAN should they ever need it - I hate filling in the pages etc (my Stinger provides all relevant info for me) - gues it depends on whether you're anally retentive or not (and NO, please don't mention the Warhammer Manouevre again!)

Also, as I'm starting my DM tomorrow (FINALLY!!) I need to prove I have 60 logged dives (although I have several (dozen) others that PADI wouldn't like to see!!

Regards

I don't log anything other than training dives,and then only when told to.I recently (summer 2000) purchased a downloadable Oceanic Data Plus 2.When I downloaded the dives it had 249 dives on it.This doesn't count dives that it wasn't used on such as lobstering in shallow water or deep dives where I only use it as a back-up depth/time device anyway.I write slow(and illegibly)so a logbook for me would just be difficult abstract art form anyway.I do take pics of notable features and edible critters.I log my spots in a LORAN/GPS notebook to let me know composition and depth.

If you have to buddy up with me and you cannot prove your wild claims with a log book then you will not dive with me.

I had divers dive their third or forth dive (ever) on a deep wreck (100'+) by lying to the boat DM. I was a buddy with one not long ago in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Sucker ran off to parts unknown and ran out of air. I had to surface to tell the DM that we may have a "floater". Fortunately, he did a direct ascent and lived.

I carry my dive log book everywhere. It is the responsible way to dive.

If I'm diving with someone I'm unfamiliar with (recreational dives), I stay within arms reach of them at all times. I would treat them as if they came straight out of an O/W class. I can generally size up a diver in just a few minutes of talking and observing. The number of dives doesn't say much to me as I place more weight on quality and philosophy.

Mike

I log dives for content, not for numbers.

I have to admit I havn't logged a dive in 5 years!!
I have 2 SSI log books full of dives from my first 8 years!!
I think im going to start to log again in the spring!!
Thanks Rick L

I log all ow dives and (IMHO) If you are realy into diving you would to. If you can sit on the computor on this board you can log your dives. Just MHO. :upset: :D :D

I'm not a fanatical logger but I do download my computer to the datamouse regularly so as not to lose information. I then update the log book sometime later with the general stuff like weight, suit, tank type and size and any special bits about the dive.

I don't even usually bother getting the book co-signed but the Japanese Club I dive with have an interesting tradition of writing up their log books then passing it round for everyone to sign and leave a comment - one guy even has little photo stickers of himself! Another chap creates stickers from his digital photos and sticks the "fish" in the book.

Just my 2yen!

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom