So I've got a friend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Streak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
He's got a grand total of 4 dives post OW. 3 of them have been solo. he knows he's being safe because he carries a Spare Air. When sac rates get mentioned, he links a PopularMechaniacs article saying the thing lasts for "less than a minute" at 100' 3.0 stressed Sac rate, 20 seconds at 100'. I get him to sign up for the Solo section here, yet he refuses to post. I'm going to abstain from comment on what he's been doing, but I would like to hear other's thoughts on the subject.

There's so much written already so tell "your freind" to read the threads already posted instead of asking us to regurgitate everything. No need to reinvent the wheel for each person that comes by.

lead a horuse to water then make him drink it or some such thing.......

I for one think those "spair air" thinggys are cool for the bath tub, hell I cary a 13ft tank and there are alot of folk's that think that's not good enoung. As for going solo right after OW, who am I to blow ageinst the wind, I don't know your friend, for all I know he is you. I was sure that after OW I was ready, I'm alive.....But if I knew what I know now, I would have learned a little more fisrt. Just cuz I didn't get killed the solo dive I made at 18 didn't mean That I knew what the heck I was doing. All I had was the know-it-all of the young, I had to get older to find out I didn't know crap. I just lived throw being young.

You know he's at risk and you have a good sense of why.

I do, however I while I may have a good sense of it, I still suck at explaining it to him. I also don't get the feeling that he's willing to listen to me. My figuring is if he hears it from a few people in here who are perhaps better able to articulate it than myself, he may be more receptive. Hell, I couldn't even convince him to post in here, but at least I got him in here to read.

I like spare air, just got me a 40cf model with a mk25/g500 on it.

Can you at least let us know what gear he dives and where he dives so we can start calling dibs... :wink:

Spare Airs have a place, but it's not in solo diving, unless your max depth is going to be in the 30-40' range and there is no chance of entanglement. The issue here is not that your friend thinks a Spare Air is redundant enough for a solo dive, it's that your friend has almost no dive experience at all and he thinks he knows enough to dive solo. Just pick up a copy of the SDI Solo Diving manual and have him read it. Maybe it will explain what it takes to solo dive...or at least give him more knowledge about it so he can be safer because it sounds like nothing is going to change his mind.

Can you at least let us know what gear he dives and where he dives so we can start calling dibs... :wink:

Spare Airs have a place, but it's not in solo diving, unless your max depth is going to be in the 30-40' range and there is no chance of entanglement. The issue here is not that your friend thinks a Spare Air is redundant enough for a solo dive, it's that your friend has almost no dive experience at all and he thinks he knows enough to dive solo. Just pick up a copy of the SDI Solo Diving manual and have him read it. Maybe it will explain what it takes to solo dive...or at least give him more knowledge about it so he can be safer because it sounds like nothing is going to change his mind.

yeah thats a good start I got a copy on ebay for like $10 he can also get other dive manuals at Abris book (a used book store on line) off the net for next to nothing

Back
Top Bottom