Key Largo Water Temperature and Wetsuit Thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've done a bit of research and found this table:

Link removed because the board won't let me post it. :-(

Seems like I should expect water to be from a high of 76 and 82 at the end of October (if it's accurate).

I have a 3mm suit that *should* be fine - but when my business partner went to buy his, they said that he should have a 5-6mm suit.

I saw this chart as well:

Temperature Suit Thickness*
76°F - 86°F 1/16" (1.6mm) neoprene or lycra
69°F - 84°F 1/8" (3mm) neoprene
64°F - 77°F 3/16" (5mm) neoprene
49°F - 75°F 1/4" (6.5mm) neoprene
33°F - 66°F 3/8" (9.5mm) neoprene, drysuit

We're going to be doing a fair amount of shallow reef diving, with some wreck diving on the Spiegal Grove, Bibb and Duane for 2 of the days - out of the 5 we're diving.

And it looks like he's gonna be a bit warm maybe - and I may be cold at depth but fine up top - what do you guys wear?

Coming from Alberta, you should find the water in KL the end of Oct like bathwater - you will be fine w/ a 3mm, especially given the shallow depths of most of the sites.

PS I go w/ what I'm comfortable wearing - in 50 degree water, I'd freeze in a 7mm - if you are SUPER sensitive, and have one, bring the 5mm - but try the 3mm first, I suspect that will be fine.

PS Depending, many locals are still in skins if the water stays warm that time of year.

Last edited:
3mm is perfect. 5mm? I would pass out in 15 minutes. I am in a .5mm skin until Dec 1...

+1

I dive a 1.5-mil in the upper Keys through most of the year, maybe taking along a 2-mil hooded vest during the colder months.

Of course, I've got at least that again in BioPrene underneath... :whistling:

I've done a bit of research and found this table:

Link removed because the board won't let me post it. :-(

Seems like I should expect water to be from a high of 76 and 82 at the end of October (if it's accurate).

I have a 3mm suit that *should* be fine - but when my business partner went to buy his, they said that he should have a 5-6mm suit.

I saw this chart as well:

Temperature Suit Thickness*
76°F - 86°F 1/16" (1.6mm) neoprene or lycra
69°F - 84°F 1/8" (3mm) neoprene
64°F - 77°F 3/16" (5mm) neoprene
49°F - 75°F 1/4" (6.5mm) neoprene
33°F - 66°F 3/8" (9.5mm) neoprene, drysuit

We're going to be doing a fair amount of shallow reef diving, with some wreck diving on the Spiegal Grove, Bibb and Duane for 2 of the days - out of the 5 we're diving.

And it looks like he's gonna be a bit warm maybe - and I may be cold at depth but fine up top - what do you guys wear?

I get cold relatively easy and the most I ever wear is a 5mm wetsuit w/ 5mm hood in like December/January. Aside from that I always wear a 3mm full suit for protection because I've been too lazy to buy a lycra.

Agreed- I work at a local shop and dive year round- the most I usually wear is a full 3, especially for late October- the water should still be quite nice then. Happy diving! Maybe I'll see you out there :)

I just checked my logged dives from last year at that time, and the COLDEST temp I registered was a freezing 83º!

3mm is PLENTY and very comfy!

While it depends on your level of exertion as a diver and your depth, I've found a 3mm full suit works best for me all around in the Keys and Caribbean in general. Others have said this too, so it sounds unanimous.

Short plug here for the 3mm Henderson H2 Titanium - awesome suit - fits like custom, flexes like a second skin, and is easy to get off and on.

I rarely go below 60' or stay down longer than about 45 minutes at a time, so your mileage may vary. I always wear boots (even with no suit), and adding a hood can buy you as much as 5 degrees of more cold tolerance, although I've never need it.

Thanks for all the advice guys - I'm sticking with my 3mm full suit and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the advice guys - I'm sticking with my 3mm full suit and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again!

You won't go wrong! Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom