Vanuatu or Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to both a few years ago 2008 and 2009 (and also lived for more than 7 years in vanuatu, but that was a very long time ago) I would state that :

- Fiji wins hands down for diving : Bligh waters/Vatu I Ra is amazing. You need to stay in Wananavu resort or on Nananu I ra island, even better would be Naia LOB. I have been disappointed with Kadavu/Naiqoro passage, good corals but it lacks fish. Never been to Taveuni though, it will be my aim with Lomaiviti/Ovalau area on a next trip.

- the only world class spot in Vanuatu is the SS. Pres.Coolidge, deep but the guys at Allan Powers know their jobs on how to accustom you to depth. You need at least 2 days and one night to see a good part of the wreck, 3 or 4 days would be better.
I like Hideaway dive center but frankly the diving in Mele bay is tame, do not bother Moso island either, was disappointed with Hat island dives too.

Hello Luko,

There have been some big changes in Lagoon Safaris since your visit. We have moved the business to Lifou. The activity in the Kuendu Beach Resort has been sold and I am now concentrating on the dive centre here in Lifou. The diving here is quite exceptional with clear water and fantastic fan corals. The island is also really beautiful. I am always amazed that people don't seem to realise what is here. I hope to you can visit us some day.

Take care, Annabella

Hello Luko,

There have been some big changes in Lagoon Safaris since your visit. We have moved the business to Lifou. The activity in the Kuendu Beach Resort has been sold and I am now concentrating on the dive centre here in Lifou. The diving here is quite exceptional with clear water and fantastic fan corals. The island is also really beautiful. I am always amazed that people don't seem to realise what is here. I hope to you can visit us some day.

Take care, Annabella

Hey, hey, Anabella,
I'm so glad to hear from you. :)

Sorry I was too lazy to write down or translate a report on my NC/Vanuatu trip last year. I am quite prone to procrastination, you know, though you can read my report in french here.

I was thinking about coming back this year for a week or two in NC and fly to the Loyautés. Ouvéa was high up on my list but since you have opened Lifou, I wouldn't skip this occasion.

See you
Luko

Don't know which Beqa Lagoon some of you have been to, but I found the diving to be ;quite lame compared to the balance of Fiji. Of course the shark dive is great if you are into that sort of thing and everyone should do one top-notch shark dive. But, the coral was bleached, the fish were sparse, and the vis was nothing to write home about.

That said, Gau, Lomativi, Bligh waters, and Rainbow reef are all world class. And I personally felt I saw more about sharks while shooting Nigali Pass than I did in Beqa. Big difference is several species of half tame sharks doing what they have been taught (Beqa) vs a couple of hundred of one species doing what they do naturally (grey reefs in Nigali/Gau).

People think I wierd when I say I really liked the Kansas dive site just south of the Bligh waters. Never seen anything like it anywhere else.

I've been to vanuatu and fiji - in vanuatu the coolidge is great but you get over it after a few days. Be sure to do a night dive if you go there though - that was the highlight of the trip! In fiji, there's lots of nice coral and fishlife and a little more variety. Up to you and what you want to see this trip i guess.... Accomodation and the general vibe of the place is pretty much identical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom