Pick a Wreck for my 100th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So my 100th dive is not going to be in Indonesia as planned, it is going to be here at home. Since there are so many NC Wreck diving fans here, I thought I'd post this question here instead of on our local forum.

Help me PICK:D

What is your favorite wreck out of Morehead within recreational limits and not one of the extended day trips? Although I had a great day on the Proteus when I dove it, it was hardly worth the nearly 4 hour trip out there to do a non deco dive. No subs please, I'm subbed out and am thinking more along the lines of LOTS OF SHARKS, and some easy penetration.

The wreck formerly known as the Papoose remains a favorite of mine. It meets all those qualifications...

The wreck formerly known as the Papoose remains a favorite of mine. It meets all those qualifications...

You know, you may be on to something. Sort of diving redux. At the risk of having the diving police jump down my throat, the Papoose was my first dive after OW. So returning there for my 100th would be cool. I did that dive on air with tables (a fantastic...what was it...13 minutes?)

My favorites this summer have been the Caribsea and the Proteus, but the Proteus is simply too far out from Morehead, and the Caribsea not always easy to get to.

Oh come one, surely someone else has a favorite?

I'd give another vote for the Papoose. Lots of sandies and easy penetration. If you want a TON of sharks and easy penetration, the Spar doesn't disappoint. It's an artiifcial wreck but I've never seen that many sharks on any other wreck.

So my 100th dive is not going to be in Indonesia as planned, it is going to be here at home. Since there are so many NC Wreck diving fans here, I thought I'd post this question here instead of on our local forum.

Help me PICK:D

What is your favorite wreck out of Morehead within recreational limits and not one of the extended day trips? Although I had a great day on the Proteus when I dove it, it was hardly worth the nearly 4 hour trip out there to do a non deco dive. No subs please, I'm subbed out and am thinking more along the lines of LOTS OF SHARKS, and some easy penetration.

My bias toward the Papoose and the Spar is due to this past Saturday's dive on both where conditions were the best I've ever experienced while diving NC. Flat seas, 60+ft viz, 80 degree warm blue water and a TON of sharks the Spar, both can be penetrated.

You cannot go wrong with either of those two wrecks! And if you have 80 degree water temps, you could do your 100th dive naked....IJS. :D

Safe dives. Let us know which wreck you end up diving!!

My Favorite dive (not necessarily favorite wreck) is the Naeco Stern. The animals are just so damn big and abundant there.

This is not a shameless plug, but you will probably have to charter a 6 pack to get there on any given day and that is never a given even then. It borders on extended day at 42 miles from the inlet.

The Normannia is another one of my favorites, but I would try to get there on a boat out of Masonboro.

My Favorite dive (not necessarily favorite wreck) is the Naeco Stern. The animals are just so damn big and abundant there.

This is not a shameless plug, but you will probably have to charter a 6 pack to get there on any given day and that is never a given even then. It borders on extended day at 42 miles from the inlet.

The Normannia is another one of my favorites, but I would try to get there on a boat out of Masonboro.

Ok, Capt., I'd like to do your recommendations the next time I'm in NC and that includes the "Scooby Doo" wreck. :D

Lulubelle, if you charter something to the Naeco and you need people count me in.

My bias toward the Papoose and the Spar is due to this past Saturday's dive on both where conditions were the best I've ever experienced while diving NC. Flat seas, 60+ft viz, 80 degree warm blue water and a TON of sharks the Spar, both can be penetrated.

You cannot go wrong with either of those two wrecks! And if you have 80 degree water temps, you could do your 100th dive naked....IJS. :D

Safe dives. Let us know which wreck you end up diving!!

Thanks Sam. I haven't been to the Papoose this summer, so that is a strong possibility. Have you been to the Caribsea? I love that one!

No shameless plug need Capt, I'd prefer to charter a six pack, and yours is very well thought of by all. Only reason why you haven't seen me is that generally there are 2-3 of us wanting to dive, not enough to fill up your boat. Haven't been able to match up dates on your "open seatings."

Are you booked next Sunday the 26th? So far, there are 3 of us, plus Battles if we go to the Naeco.

Lulubelle, if you charter something to the Naeco and you need people count me in.

OK, let me work on that....we have nothing booked yet, and one person waiting to see if she goes out this weekend before she decides whether or not to join us.

Back
Top Bottom