Wishing you could spend more money on tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly why I spent $10k on a rebreather, to offset the additional $.10/cf that these bastards keep charging us. I knew this thing would pay for itself!

The article just goes to show how much we are being raped by the gas suppliers. They are getting it .075 cents per cubic foot from the government. My cost is about .42 cents per cubic foot. Talk about a profit.

This is exactly why I spent $10k on a rebreather, to offset the additional $.10/cf that these bastards keep charging us. I knew this thing would pay for itself!

Dive for dive, How much has it saved you vs how much the initial investment cost?

Good joke, John.

I needed a good excuse not to go down to the bottom of that murky, dark lake to look at airplanes any more :)

The article just goes to show how much we are being raped by the gas suppliers. They are getting it .075 cents per cubic foot from the government. My cost is about .42 cents per cubic foot. Talk about a profit.

As a home compressor owner myself I can definitely say that the majority of this wholesale to retail markup is not profit.

There are compressors to pump it.
Cylinders to put it in.
Valves to buy and maintain.
Hydros.
Trucks & fuel costs to move those heavy steel cylinders around.
People to run all this equipment.
And lastly accountants to keep track of the bills.

250-300cf quantities are not cheap or easy ways to distribute this stuff. Besides the demand is setting the final price. The price will rise until it intersects the decline in demand. All those people with Tech certs are not your friends :shocked2:

While I don't have a home fill station, I have operated our local shops fill station for a few years. I completely understand the work that goes into filling scuba tanks. I have no plans on purchasing a home fill station, as air at my LDS is cheap and I have better things to spend my money on. :)

When you think about all the work that goes into producing a T or K bottle of HE vs the price that the gas suppliers charge the general public, it's hard to see how they are making a profit. But you also have to realize that there are a handful of large scale gas suppliers who are supplying the gas down to smaller vendors, to the general public, etc. These guys are doing bulk supply on a scale that's hard to imagine. Yes, there is quiet a bit of overhead, but they have to be making a profit. Otherwise they'd up the price or find other revenue generating products. :)

I pay $124 for a T or about $0.45/cf from my supplier and honestly I'm just grateful I'm not in Canada, or with Rumbo in Truk :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom